pagers and narrowbanding

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

pagers and narrowbanding

Post by jmr3865 »

Hi all,
I cannot get a straight answer on this. I know the Minitor 5 has a "narrowbanding" feature however, has there been anything written in stone that the Minitor 2's, 3's and 4's will not work with narrowband? I have been told some 4's will but also understand that the 3 and 4 has the same guts.

Thanks
JMR
KC2QVO
Bill_G

Re: pagers and narrowbanding

Post by Bill_G »

You will have to test them individually and weed out or repair the ones that do not work well with lower deviation. It is what it is.
richardbritt
New User

Post by richardbritt »

My minitor 3 works with narrow banded VHF dispatching on the local fire repeater. Of course the audio is pretty low due to the narrow bandwidth. All local issued minitor 3s and 4s were changed to 5s, but I have an old one to play with (its not used anymore)
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Yup.....all the old pagers still work on our NB system. Just lowered audio. Even the old Plectron boxes still work. Save your money and use the old pagers till they die.
thewizardatst24
New User

Post by thewizardatst24 »

The difference between the Minitor 5 and the others, as far as narrowbanding is concerned, is they have a compander circuit. (Companding: Signal processing technique which uses both compression and expansion to improve dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio.) As an example, the Kenwood TK-270g is narrowband capable. When a channel is changed to narrowband, there is a location to turn on the compander which is usually missed by those who don't know what it does.

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”