Thoughts on HeadLight Flasher brands

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Thoughts on HeadLight Flasher brands

Post by apco25 »

Anyone have good or bad things to say about some of the multi-pattern headlight flashers and Whelen, Code3 and Able2 market? Used on good old reliable Federal Signal FHL2C on our stuff out here, never played with the other brands.
copcarguy

flashers

Post by copcarguy »

Sound off I think make the best flashers. Good tech support and easy hook ups. Able 2 and code 3 flashers a million wires to hook up and hide when a sound-off flasher only has 4. (depends on the sound off flasher and drl). just my .02
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

WHELEN! WHELEN! WHELEN! WHELEN!

OK, I am biased.

I am a fan of the UHF2150A or even better, the SSF2150 which is all solid state and has no relays. That also means it is SILENT, no clicking.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
apco25

Post by apco25 »

C'mon... what work a squad be without the tick tick tick tick of the headlight flasher?
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

I'd have to agree with Matt, I have installed over 20 (I know, some of ya have done 100's or more), but I have to stand by the UHF2150A and the SSF2150 series units...

Compare the sight of a suburban with ALL whelen lighting, LED's etc...

To the same truck with Able 2 stuff, sure it will look the same from 1/2 mile away, if ya can see the 15 watters, but Whelen has always been high in my opinion do to them having good t/s and warr.

Just my 2 cents
EDACS - Every Day Another Customer Screams...So a few al-Qaeda tourists got locked without a trial in Camp X-ray? Pass the
Kleenex...BOO, HOO, HOO.....AMERICA Should have turned a large chunk of the world into a parking lot.
jim

Post by jim »

To start off, Whelen makes only ONE model headlight flasher themselves. Sound-Off builds the rest of Whelen's headlight/taillight flashers for them (they can't make any of their other products last more than a month, so they're better off using someone else's). Don't believe it? Hold them side by side and even look at print on the tags. Still don't believe it? Call Sound-Off and they'll tell you!

Sound-Off makes the best ones- period. Sound-Off had some problems recently due to a change of potting material, but this was corrected. If you have any aluminum-housed flashers with very hard type potting material, you may have one of the "failure" flashers. Be sure to use the ones with the material that you can sink your fingernail into.

The Code 3 units have screw terminals that constantly burn up. I change these things frequently because of these terminals. I assum that if you'd tighten them occasionally, this wouldn't happen, but who wants to do this?

Gall's brand are made by Sound-Off, but to Gall's "cheaper" design specs and they don't offer a true solid state unit. They fail frequently.

I never tried the Sho-Me brand, so I have no input of them.

The solid state are the best from Sound-off. Any flasher with a relay will give problems. Oh....if you are doing an Impala, the Sound-Off and Whelen (made by Sound-off) are the only two that will not void GM's electrical system warranty.

Also, contrary to what you're told, wigwags CAN be installed on 99- GM trucks and 00- Durnago/Dakotas.....ya' just gotta know how to do it properly.

Okay everyone, prepare for some cry baby to whine since I said something bad about Whelen. Truth hurts.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Generally, I've always been a federal signal man, but each of the companies out there do have good and bad items. Anyone want to comment on how LOUSY the smart vision bar was/is from FS? Just took one of those off a rig, what a mess. At the same time we all know a PA300 will last longer than the car its installed in! Never really liked anything label galls, all just cheap clones of other stuff. Everyone markets good and bad stuff.

Being heavy FS out here that's why I asked about the headlight flashers. Other companies do make reliable products.

I'm just waiting for the day halogen lights are gone from Public Safety use. It will takes years of course, but Strobe and LED is where it will be at.

currently spec-ing a strobe - led system right now.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Just had a Code-3 V-CON system blow up the other day in a labor day parade. i guess that's what we get for a vehicle with entirely federal bar and strobe system hooked up to code 3 controller. Poor thing smoked itself, at least all the light heads are OK.

Only code 3 I ever liked was the dashlazer.
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

Whelen makes all there own Products. And they makes products for others. you are Wrong about whelen
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Sound-off making Whelen anything :o ? Right. I assure you, Whelen makes their own stuff including the flashers. If you call their competitor and ask something like that, of course they will say something like that. Perhaps you have had bad luck, but I have not had a single problem. All of our trucks have Whelen flashers. They have relay operated ones. I am phasing them out any time something needs a new one or we are upgrading, I put in the solid state. Also, any personal vehicle I do work on gets an SSF2150. It is worth the extra $5.00. All of our dept's other warning equipment is Whelen (except on galls siren in the utility truck, biggest POS out there). Other than normal maintanence, I have no problems with anything. I know not everyone has good luck with one brand or another, but I have no complaints.

There are companies that make products for WHELEN but they are owned by WHELEN.... ie- Charleston Manufacturing/ Precision Assembly Corperation in New Hampshire makes the plastic parts. There is another company called NESLO in VT that makes parts too. All of them are owned by Whelen. They just didn't change the name of the plants. But trust me, Sound Off does not make anything for Whelen. I have no personal problem with Sound Off products, I have never used them. I don't like how most of them look though.

Gall's brand anything I would never buy. We have a Gall'siren/control panel in our utility truck. Total pile of junk. I have heard the same for their other products that are made to lesser standards.

We had a code 3 flasher in our tanker from the factory. It stopped flashing the left side after a few months. OUT with the code 3, in with the Whelen.

I have done work on one new dodge. I just got a new 9004/9007 harness from NAPA that can handle the flasher and chucked the factory one. Works like a charm, no smoke and fire.
Okay everyone, prepare for some cry baby to whine since I said something bad about Whelen.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Mommy, the mean man hurt my feelings. :wink:
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am not going to get into an argument over who makes the best headlight flasher. I would like to mention mounting locations however. I install them on police cars and the previous installers always put them on the passenger side fender well in the engine compartment. There is a lot of heat under the hook and failure rate on the flashers was fairly significant. I started mounting them behind the grill but up out of the way of rain and dirt. They stay much cooler there and the failure rate seems to have dropped by noticeable amount.

Jason
apco25

Post by apco25 »

Most of the rigs out here get done that way, flasher under the hood on the firewall. I'll try the grill location or since its going to be a solid state flasher that is silent I might just mount it inside the vehicle.

I'll give the whelen flasher a try and see how it goes.
Larry

Flashers for 2000 Toyota Tacoma

Post by Larry »

We have a few 2000 Toyota Tacomas in out fleet and were looking for headlight flashers that would work on this type vehicle, haven't found any that are recommended, does anyone know if there are any flashers that can be used?
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

Whelen makes a 50 watt halogen hide-a-way for vehicles that can not use a head ligh flasher. they look just as good as the head ligh bulb some times brighter
jim

Post by jim »

Okay. Once again, I'm wrong and YOU are right (you'd like to think). I suppose that when I had a problem with a Whelen Impala flasher and called them and they told me to contact Sound-Off, they lied about who makes them. Some people are just so stuck on things that they absolutely refuse to belileve that their favorite company farms out work. Sound-Off AND Whelen BOTH confirmed to me that Sound-Off makes most of Whelen's flashers. BOTH companies' tech lines even said this. Hell, in fact, some of "W"'s flashers are in the familiar Sound-Off boxes. I do all of the installation work for a large fleet sales company in the Western Pa. area and they purchase approx. 8000 flashers per year from both Whelen and Federal. Recently, they were told >>>>BY WHELEN<<<<, that Sound-Off makes most of their flashers. This occurred after the WHELEN BUILT headlight flasher was causing the Imapala's "high beam lamp out" indicator to illuminate for no reason. They could not feasibly fix this problem and they now sell a re-boxed Sound-Off headlight flasher amongst other flashers. I was contacted by Sound-Off themselves since I do work for this large fleet company to check on the reliability of their product. Again, at that time, I was told that "we are now building Whelen's Impala flashers for them."

I guess that both Whelen and Sound-Off both are lying and YOU are right, as usual. Just think that if one of these companies hired you. Everything would always be right!

Now. Since once again I proved that I'm right and you're wrong....the bottom line is that:

A. Sound-Off and Federal flashers are the ones to use.

B. Code 3 flashers have problems.

C. Whelen farms out most of their headlight flashers (although they are not a bad product since not built by them). This is fact.

D. You obviously don't do much work on emergency vehicles to know one manufacturer's product from another just by looking at the component.

This is no different than looking in the Kenwood TK-705D that's apart on my bench and is full of MOTOROLA components!! Did Kenwood just stamp the "M" on all of the chips or do they farm out work/components and have outside suppliers? I'm sure there's a die hard "K" fan that would refuse to belileve that their precious little Kenwood radio has a part made my the evil "M" inside of it, but the do. Many companies do.

Chrysler NEVER put a Mitsubishi engine in a minvan.
Isuzu NEVER used a V6 Chevy in their Trooper.
Polaris NEVER put a Fuji/Subaru engine in a quad.
Mitsubishi NEVER put a Sony picture tube in a television.
Westinghouse NEVER put a GE motor in an appliance.
Whelen NEVER put a Sound-Off flasher in one of their boxes.
Mercedes Benz would NEVER use a Nippondenso AC compressor.
Home Depot would NEVER sell a reboxed Square-D circuit breaker with their own name on it.

Ever see a tool that 5 different companies sell? Same tool- different name....right down to the stampings.

Welcome to a reality trip of how business gets done today.

Have a nice day :wink:
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

while we are on the subject of flashers: anyone heard of a "lazerback" taillight flasher? It is made by some no name company and is at least 6 years old. I had it hooked up once and it worked great. I would like to use it again but don't have the wiring diagram, and can't remember which wire goes where. has anyone installed one of these. or ever heard of them?

Tim
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Where do you guys get yoru qucik disconnect harnesses from? Looking for one for on 02 explorer but cant seem to find one. Let me know....
kens

Post by kens »

I was always a fan of the old Unitrol #131 that used a #537 flasher and enclosed relay. Very reliable but not spectacular in operation. I understand these have been discontinued since Federal bought them.
The ones we now use are labeled Roadrunner and are 2 relays sealed in epoxy. They are easier to install (I usually locate them behind the grill) but they seem to fail more often than the Unitrol.
KitN1MCC

Post by KitN1MCC »

Jim then how come when i was over at the Factory a few weeks back i saw one of the wondeful assemblers there building an impala flasher.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

jim wrote:Okay. Once again, I'm wrong and YOU are right
Yes.

Please spare us the reality check BS. You clearly have no clue what you are rambling about here and have picked the wrong few people to say it in front of..
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I have noticed in our new cruisers that the flash rate is different. I almost want to say it varies-starts slow, speeds up, slows down (cycles on purpose).

Next time I am down at Whelen I will bug Patty and Gary in service and find out what the deal with flashers are...

Who makes that flashers that LAPD uses that goes from alternating to flashing? One of our ambulances have it, but I cannot find the flasher.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

That is called "ModuFlash". The flash rate rise and falls. That is probably a UHF2150A flasher. There are 2 jumper wires in the back that you use to select one of 4 patterns:

1) Regular Alternating
2) Modulflash
3) Cycle of Alternating double flash / Simultanious Flash
4) Cycle of Alternating double flash/ Single Alternating Flash

By default, if you do not change the jumper wires, it will be on moduflash. Oh yea, tell Patty I said Hi. oh wait, don't do that. She'll charge you double :)
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

She likes me! I have to bring my German Shepard back down, last time she saw him is was still a little puppy, but that was 80 lbs ago..
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

My 2 cents- federal and sound off make good flashers. able-2 flashers use slower 60 flash per minute rate instead of typical 90 FPM, but you can order custom flash rates- i don't know cost difference.
i used a soundoff galaxy 75watt strobe pack for several years thru 3 different installs and in the last car found it was prone to RF interference from my 110 watt spectra for the first time. re-grounding every strobe cable individually at the strobe pac side failed to resolve it and i was forced to replace strobe pack. i would have anyway, running all 8 tubes needed more wattage to get them seen, but i went with different make this time, no problems with RF.

soundoff does make a 25 watt self contained strobe pack that installs under hood, resembles a hdlite flasher, a cinch to install and works great running corner strobes.
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

537 flasher

Post by kb9suy »

nothin beats a good old 537 flasher and a relay for the highbeams.
chiefops

Post by chiefops »

well, if you want your emergency vehicle's warning signals to look amateur, go with a 537 thermal flasher where 1 side stays on longer than the other and cycles from fast to slow. if not, go with a modern flashing system.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Hey, don't be dissin the 537 Flasher. When the dept can't give you money to buy a flasher for the lightbar, the 537 Flasher from NAPA is easily passed off as a turn signal flasher. Actually, it IS a turn signal flasher. It just has a few other uses.

We have one in the edge bar of our rescue. Sometime, for some reason, they both come on steady. I jsut whack the top of the bar and they start flashing. :)
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

chiefops

Post by chiefops »

if money is the problem, save it till you have $20-25 for a tridon flasher, at least that will give you an even, consistent flash rate. otherwise, the 537 is for amateurs.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Dude, I know. I'm kidding.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

motorolamonster911

Galls Flasher

Post by motorolamonster911 »

I have a Galls Wig-Wag flasher in my vehicle, and my golfcart..heh They have been through hell and back but still work perfectly.. and its only $20!!!
MotorolaMonster911

"If at first you don't succeed, read the manual" - Montgomery's Maxim
"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
jim

Post by jim »

I wouldn't even put them on a golf cart ! It's a 537 in a box with a 4PDT switch.
motorolamonster911

My golfcart

LOL, ok, I was low on cash when they were put on... But my golfcart is my baby!! You should see it, Ive got a 21" clear rotator lightbar with red inserts, a whelen 200w siren, 45w VHF GM300, and all halogen flashing lights. Im saving up to convert it all to strobe & l.e.d for less amp draw, I think running all that stuff burned up the alternator, so I put a marine battery on the back that powers emergency equipment only, and only needs charging about every month. I will have to put some pics up of it soon!
MotorolaMonster911

"The trouble with resisting temptation is it may never come your way again." (E-bay Scenario) - Somebody
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

OK, this time I'll play the straight man..............

"What do you do that you need all that on a GOLF cart?"

Jack

motorolamonster911

2 reasons

Just for 2 reasons:

1. I use it to first respond at fairs, small community events, and other outdoor events. :P

2. To make my neigbors mad, and ride my friends around. :lol:

As you can tell, jus mostly #2, but #1 is good also. :D
MotorolaMonster911

jim

Post by jim »

I guess that I should install WWs in the headlights of my new Kawasaki quad ????
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

I put a headlight flasher in the EZ-GO golf cart at the camper...no siren yet.

Freaks out the snow birds that live there over the summer.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
motorolamonster911

I externally mounted the speaker on mine, and it was so loud, that I went and bought 2 $.50 cent sponges and wedged them in the bell, far enough not to damage the cone! It helps a whole lot!
MotorolaMonster911

Post by 007 »

I put a 110w VHF Syntor X on the cart last summer, with a larsen 1/2 wave. That was a hoot...nobody belived we were talking to them from a golf cart!

Needless to say, it was powered with a sperate battery.

I think the Maxtrac idea mentioned b4 is a good way to go, with a mini stobe bar and 58w siren maybe?
motorolamonster911

I have a 45w VHF GM300 in mine, we were headin to drive in a parade, and we marked up to the dispatcher " Golfcart 1 to control, signal 2(enroute) to 5d (special detail) parade in town" the dispatcher and all the other guys got a good laugh. I have a 200w siren. All my lights and radios and sirens are run off a 12v marine battery. Is your golfcart gas or electric...mines gas "ClubCar"
MotorolaMonster911

apco25

Post by apco25 »

um, how can you stand to be on the golf cart when the 200w siren is on? I assume you;'re running dual speakers? What's next... a Q siren with its own gas engine to handle the 350amp start load????????
8)
motorolamonster911

its just in 100w mode right now...thank god...and it really dont bother me that much, just the people I drive by fast at the county fair...lol :P
MotorolaMonster911

Post by 007 »

It's a gas EZ-GO, with the optional rear seat, so we mounted the X upside down under the rear seat. I think we exceeded the FCC limits for RF exposure to the occupants, though! The 1/2 wave was mounted to the rear roof support next to the drivers head.

Bombing around the dirt roads put /\/\'s dust MIL-SPEC rating to the test with the tray...held up just fine.

For the Q Siren - mount a GM quad-four on the back end to spin the dual 190A alternators :)
motorolamonster911

my 1/4 wave VHF is mounted on the canopy mounts on the drivers side up top. I ran all of my wiring for the lightbar, and rear halogen top lights through the canopy posts..i really need to post some pics. I took it out today in the ice, it was fun, but until today I never realized how easy it was to flip one over!!!lol
MotorolaMonster911

Post by 007 »

DID YOU ROLL IT????
motorolamonster911

no...but i came very, very, very close, had it on 2 wheels...
MotorolaMonster911

Post by 007 »

We have an "off-road course" that we do evoc-like moves on back on an ATV trail....I've been in you shoes a couple times.

"A man's gotta know his limitations" :)

I guess the cart doesn't handle quite a camaro...

Pic's would be cool.....ours is under a tarp with the roof off right now. Not much to see.
motorolamonster911

mines sittin in the garage with 2 battery conditioners on..1 for the starter...and the other for the marine battery that runs all my equip..
MotorolaMonster911

motorolamonster911

i will take some pics tommorow and put them under a new topic...i guess poor guy who started this discussion never expected to be reading about golfcarts!!! lol
MotorolaMonster911

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”