Motorola GP360 drains battery

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Shuttle

Motorola GP360 drains battery

Post by Shuttle »

Hello,
I bit the bullet and bought a used GP360 VHF on fleabay.
This is not to mock the seller or discuss about refunds, how stupid it was to buy it on ebay and so forth. I would like some input on the problem at hand:

Then I ran into a small snag, the radio drains the battery at 20mA while off. The rate seems to go up at some point, having a battery connected will have the battery flat in a few days.
I use only genuine batteries. All second hand, but have been used on GP340's lying for a while without any problems.
As for chargers, I've used both genuine impres MUC's, standard SUC rapid chargers and a Wetech charger.
The radio is with the "orange" seal around the battery connectors, ver.no R03.01.22 and model MDH25KDF9AN5AE.
Tags match with what the software reports. Codeplug version is 7.x, so the firmware has been upgraded at some point.

I popped open the radio, and the display flex connector on the RF-board is naturally also broken.

The local dealer (and importer) quoted EUR226+shipping+vat for a trip to the depot, which is a bit steep when the radio was under EUR200.

I do have a spare GP340 with the newer "blue seal", but I cannot at the moment recall or check the version.
I also have access the the RIB and programming cable, and EU CPS.

As this is for amateur use, I would be open to trying the flash-trick. Apparently, cloning the codeplug is not enough?
What parts do I need? correct me if I'm wrong:
- A serial cable splitter with the other rx or tx line cut
- 2x ribless cables
- flash adapter (this can be reproduced easily)
- And flashes? I tried opening a MOL account to no avail. Are these available from who? motorola dealers seem to be 'a tad' difficult to put sell a single upgrade, if any.

Is there anything else that I could try, or could be the problem?

Best regards,
Martin
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Motorola GP360 drains battery

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Martin,

If I were you, I would remove the battery, then I would remove the chassis from the case and do a continuity check on the power switch which is part of the volume control. These units are known to cause problems. The fact that the radio is drawing 120 mA means that the switch is not shutting off the radio. Working on the controls on these particular types of radios is known to be a challenging task, so perhaps your local shop can do the job for you.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

Thank you Tom for your input.
Although the current is 20mA and not 120mA, I shall look further.
The GP firmware version is R03.14.00.
Could someone fill me in with what the latest is for the waris EU-series?
The GP340 I have for spares is R03.04.00.

Best regards, Martin
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

I shall continue my monologue.
The radio draws 60mA while powered, so there is for sure something that bothers it.
I also fiddled around with the thought of converting the spare GP340 into a GP360 on a software level, and just slap it into the GP360 casing.
However, these is a small hitch with the channel selector switch that presumably differs between the models. Does anyone know if the original 16-ch switch can be modified for unlimited turns?
Another approach would be to convert it to a HT1250, which would give access to configurable zones. This however, is something I would need some more experienced insight to.

Any suggestions?

Regards, Martin
Shuttle

Post by Shuttle »

A closure to the case.
I bit the bullet and popped the radio all the way open.
Here's how it looks like:
And a closeup of the power management IC:
Note the missing leg nr. 14 :-)

The deal consisted of a radio, aftermarket (presumably new) battery and wetech vehicular charger.
The seller has as one option given me the possibility to have a EUR135 refund and keep the radio+accessories.
I suppose that'll be the route I choose.
GP320's are around, I bet I'll fab up a real frankenradio ;-)

Best regards,
Martin

ps, administrators, would a transfer from 'new users' be appropriate?

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”