Power supply question

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jackd

Power supply question

Post by jackd »

I'm installing a xtl5000 uhf and vhf in a rack housing with a power supply . Do I need 2 power supplies or can I use a single mount 13.vdc supply and splice it
john delorey
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Re: Power supply question

Post by KG4INW »

You can certainly use one so long as it has enough current to be able to handle both of them TXing at high power (even if you don't intend to TX at the same time, it's still good practice). Mid power, high power?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Power supply question

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Until about a year ago I ran two XTLs (one a high power), one 900 mHz Spectra, and an 800 mHz Astro Spectra in the same carpeted rack, all powered by a 30 Amp. Astron switching supply. I had the high power XTL turned down to 70 watts and it did fine. The Astron sat in the bottom of the rack, behind a vent panel, along with the speakers the radios required. Later on I sold both XTLs and replaced them with a single APX 7500, and now in the open space sits an Icom 208 that I rarely use. The rack is an 8RU carpeted box I got on eBay, and if I was at home, which I'm not, I'd put up a photo of the finished unit, which if you'll pardon the boast is, I think, pretty slick. Nothing beats having all the wires and similar stuff hidden from view.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”