Looking for dimmer circut for 1997 Suburban

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Looking for dimmer circut for 1997 Suburban

Post by Pj »

I am going to be installing a light control head that can be dimmed via the trucks interior light dimmer swtich. Does anyone know which line I should be tapping into and the best access point? I will be using a Whelen MPC01 controller if that helps.

Thanks.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
fire-medic8104

Post by fire-medic8104 »

Doesn't a suburban have a seperate dimmer switch? If it does, just use a volmeter and look for a voltage drop while rotating the switch. I believe these only use 3 or 4 wires.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Yup it does. I haven't ripped the dashboard apart yet, nor did I want too until I had all the info (its such a nice truck!)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jim

Post by jim »

Most GMs have a 5A fuse in the interior fuse panel that is dedicated to the dimmer circuit- and yes, the fuse is on the variable voltage line. There are also many GMs with a tap in the fuse box marked "int" or "inst" that is where you need to go. If all else fails, pull the 0-12V from the lamp in the ashtray.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Good thought. I haven't noticed or looked for that circut on the panel. A couple of the other ones will make for a good relay switch.
copcarguy

dimmer

Post by copcarguy »

Most vehicles have a panel light for the ashtray. The ashtray is already fused and located in the center of the vehicle. T-tap off the panel light hot, usually orange or yellow. The other wire going to the light is usually black (ground). 8)
jim

Post by jim »

Hmmmm. Isn't that what I just said????

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”