Narrowbanding and GMRS

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

stay-con

Narrowbanding and GMRS

Post by stay-con »

Does the narrowbanding affect the GMRS equipment as well?

Thanks

Jeff
Emoticons are the wheel chair ramps for the emotionally handicapped.
kem554991
New User

Re: Narrowbanding and GMRS

Post by kem554991 »

I've looked into this quite a bit, and as far as I can tell it doesn't. That said, I read somewhere (not necessarily a reliable source) that using wideband radios to talk to the bubble packs will not work because the bubble packs are narrowband. Again, I don't know that it's very reliable, just something I saw somewhere. It would be nice if someone with more expertise could please clear that up.
Motorola HT1250 III UHF, Motorola MT2000 III VHF, Motorola MTS2000 I UHF, Motorola Radius m120 VHF, 2x Motorola Radius P200 UHF, Radio Shack PRO-2018, Uniden BCD996XT x2
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

No, GMRS is not affected by narrowbanding mandates. The incompability with the blister pack radios is that the FRS channels (some which are shared with GMRS) are 12.5 while GMRS is historically 25 KHZ but 12.5 is also authorized. The blister pack combo radios (FRS/GMRS) are all 12.5 so using them to talk to a GMRS station using 25 KHz spacing causes an incompability.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

I have seen people use Jedi radios set to wide band talk to bubble pack radios on FRS just fine. You just have to adjust the receive volume correctly to compensate for the difference. GMRS is still 5 khz deviation. GARY
stay-con

Post by stay-con »

Thankies

Jeff
Emoticons are the wheel chair ramps for the emotionally handicapped.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”