Tait TB9100 Tone Remote Functions

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

Tait TB9100 Tone Remote Functions

Post by FMROB »

Hello all,

Has anyone on the board used the Tait TB9100 repeater and the tone remote interface with the unit? Specifically hooked a dispatch console to the TB9100 repeater using tone remote control. If so, please PM me. I am having a hell of a time adjusting audio so that it doesn't clip or drop out?

Thanks, Rob
Bill_G

Re: Tait TB9100 Tone Remote Functions

Post by Bill_G »

Have you contacted their tech support? They have been pretty good for us, but we are using the ethernet interface, not TRC.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

FMROB wrote:Hello all,

Has anyone on the board used the Tait TB9100 repeater and the tone remote interface with the unit? Specifically hooked a dispatch console to the TB9100 repeater using tone remote control. If so, please PM me. I am having a hell of a time adjusting audio so that it doesn't clip or drop out?

Thanks, Rob

You didn't mention what you have for test equipment or how your trying to set the audio levels. There have been many threads on the board here setting tone remote audio levels. it might be worth taking the time to do a search on the subject and reading them.

Bottom line here is to start at the console and use a TIMS unit to set the audio output level. I always use the low level idle tone as it is steady as long as you keep the PTT keyed. Plus you don't need a storage scope to catch it. It should fall someplace in the range of -25 to -30 db. The next step will require 2 people or a dispatcher with the ability to bellow out a fairly steady ahhhhhh or fiiiiiiiiiive while you measure the TX deviation. Most of the dispatchers are feel too embarrassed to even try it.

If you use paging, it is imperative that the paging tones don't go into audio compression. The paging tones do not want to be full deviation, but about 50% of normal. The main thing here is to keep the paging tones out of compression. Real low tones or very high frequency tones will be an issue.

Jim
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Hello all, yes to both.

Here is the situation. The console is connected into a rx'r only unit, which is part of a IP distrubuted voting system. The repeater is located elsewhere linked thru micro. All subscriber traffic on the network is stellar.

There is an avtec console appox 10' away from the tait rx'r hooked through shielded cat 5 via a punch block, nothing else hooked to the line (except test equipment). The repeater rx'r is set (rx'r has TRC capability which converts it to IP internal to the unit) to expect -10 db at the input to the unit. When you give it -10db from the outpost is clips, drops out, and audio just goes away (just console TX audio). Audio sounds and looks good on the lineman, and a 1k tone shows about -9db. I finally have the outpost set for -17db to where the rx'r is set a -10db everything is happy and works. However, there are still a few pops and drops on the tx audio. The built in diagnostics on the tait shows no overdrive condition and when tones are going through shows about -12db RMS (as it states). Outpost is set to 600 ohm balanced, no agc, no vox, etc. Im puzzled. Tait was a help, but the problem still is not resolved, and for the life of me I dn't understand why -17db works. Go up or down a few db and a hell breaks loose.

On a side note, I would like to look at the function tones with my fluke scopemeter, but it is hard to capture the info and read it on the display. I am still paying with the unit (its new to me). The equipment I have at my disposal are helpers instrument lineman, HP TIMS set, fluke meters that read tone and db level, fluke scope meter, and moto service monitor.

Any thoughts? Rob

To add, if I take a C200 deskset that gives about a -9db out on a high 5555, and connect it to the TRC of the RX'r the audio sounds awesome. I can scream into this thing with no clipping (TRC in tait set to expect -10db).
FireFighter162
New User

Post by FireFighter162 »

Did you set up the TB9100 as a voter? I have a project that we are starting and I have to do it. Looking for any info has been tough, I saw your post and was curious if you had any tips
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Yes, We heavily use the 9100 voting system. It works and works beyond well. In my opionion the 9100 is the best base station that money can by, and couple that with the voting system you have near perfection.

Drop me a pm with your email and I can send you some notes.
n3lee
New User

Post by n3lee »

Rob;

9100 needs to have the analog interface SFE key enabled; once that's enabled you need to define the tone function table. Your voice peaks should be somewhere close to the -10 mark if that's what your going with. You can use the diag section to monitor the analog line input levels quickly and easily; I recommend sending a 1khz alert tone from the console for a good guess-timate (rather than relying on the dispatcher voice) and match that. PM me if you need a hand...

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”