R2600 help needed

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

billroig

R2600 help needed

Post by billroig »

Have a R2600C all functions on the generate side work, power meter works. In Monitor mode, I get a received signal in the Spectrum Analyzer mode the signal shows the correct level of the received signal but when I go to MOD SCOPE, I get no signal. I do not get received audio through the speaker, squelch doesn't work. The Freq error shows -92.5 all the time and Dev: doesn't indicate. I do get beeps so speaker and audio amp seem to be OK. In the Generate mode I get the audio tone in the speaker when enabled. I think it migt be a problem in the demodulator circuitry or receiver I.F.

I don't have a Service Manual and haven't been able to find one. If somebody could help I would appreciate. Or, if someone could tell me the module number I could try to exchange as I do have an R2660 (on the back it says R2600A)that operates correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BillBill AC4BD
Bill AC4BD
gvodvarka
New User

Re: R2600 help needed

Post by gvodvarka »

Did you ever get this fixed? Mine is doing the same thing. Gary
ferdias07
New User

Post by ferdias07 »

i have one r2600C , and have the same problem, help. ferdias07
jry

Post by jry »

the r2600a SM may be close to get yo started.

If you have another spectrum analyzer or service monitor you could check for 310.7 going to the A10 RX module on the cable going to J1.
In the past I have used the SMB connectors from scrapped Spectra's.
Assuming that's there ( if the spectrum analyzer is working than it should be ) than verify that the 321.4 Mhz signal is on the cable going into J2.

This LO mixes with 310.7 to get to a standard 10.7IF.

Normally I pull the receiver modules and provide the required power and signals and troubleshoot form there.

There are scans of the service manuals available ...the R2600A is $20.00.

The processor would be different enough on the C veriosn that if that is your problem you would need that version SM
moztas

Post by moztas »

billroig wrote:Have a R2600C all functions on the generate side work, power meter works. In Monitor mode, I get a received signal in the Spectrum Analyzer mode the signal shows the correct level of the received signal but when I go to MOD SCOPE, I get no signal. I do not get received audio through the speaker, squelch doesn't work. The Freq error shows -92.5 all the time and Dev: doesn't indicate. I do get beeps so speaker and audio amp seem to be OK. In the Generate mode I get the audio tone in the speaker when enabled. I think it migt be a problem in the demodulator circuitry or receiver I.F.

I don't have a Service Manual and haven't been able to find one. If somebody could help I would appreciate. Or, if someone could tell me the module number I could try to exchange as I do have an R2660 (on the back it says R2600A)that operates correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BillBill AC4BD
I had a similar problem on my R2550A. I had replaced "receiver board" (plugged on J10 connector) and problem were solved. Please check below topic which I created before:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=99420

Regarding service manual, send an e-mail.

Regards
moztas
VE3HKB
New User

Post by VE3HKB »

I recently experienced the same symptoms, but didn't have a spare receiver board to swap out.
Figuring I didn't have much to lose, I decided to pull the A10 board and do some investigating.
(Important tip: mark all of the cables before disconnecting them)

On the unit I had, the problem was caused by the famous "capacitor cancer" issue common to the R26xx series. There was obvious damage to a trace beside C193 (I have photos I can email, but I wasn't able to embed them here).
With help from Moztas, I was able to diagnose the true extent of the damage and effect a repair.

Near the backplane connector, there are two electrolytic capacitors, C192 and C193, both 33uF / 25V ALUM SMT.
C193 had leaked, destroying the +12V supply to the 321.4MHz LO buffer, effectively killing the IF -> NO RX.

After noting the polarity of both capacitors (C192 is on the -12V supply, C193 is on the +12V supply), I carefully removed them. If you elect to do this, be very careful, as the solder pads are under the SMT caps. Heat applied to the pads from both sides at the same time will make removal easier. Doing one side at a time will likely result in lifting the opposite pad. If you do lift the pad(s), don't worry, as tacking a new cap onto the remaining trace(s) will also work.

I cleaned the electrolyte from the board with 99% isopropal and let it dry. I bridged the missing trace with 30ga wire, making sure that I had restored continuty. The damage to the trace extended to the feedthrough eyelet, but luckily, not entirely through the board. A10 is a mult-layer circuit board, and the +12V supply to the buffer stage goes through the middle layer. Having the board layout and a schematic is an absolute necessity if the traces are totally destroyed.

I didn't have replacement SMT caps available, and one of the solder pads was gone anyway, so I used the smallest radial lead caps I could find (33uF / 35V 6mm x 7mm ALUM). I soldered these onto the remaining pads or nearest intact trace. I compared the polarity of the new caps with that of the originals, to make sure they were correctly installed.

Lastly, I checked the backplane connector (at the bottom of the A10 module cavity). I got lucky as there was no evidence of corrosion, but if there was, it would have to be cleaned/repaired before reinstalling the board.

After putting everything back together and reconnecting the cables I powered up - RX audio and working squelch restored!

I checked both of the caps I removed, and they were still within spec. It is possible that repairing the traces without replacing the caps would have restored operation, but it would likely have been a temporary fix. It was easier to see and fix the damage with the caps out of the way.

This is what I found and was able to correct. Yours may have other issues, so don't consider the above the only solution.
jmalaysia
New User

Post by jmalaysia »

I had the exact same symptoms and was able to get my 2600 working again. The -12v foils were badly etched and the feedthrough beneath the cap for the +12v was open. Actually that entire foil was missing. Using the information provided on this post I repaired it. Thanks a million to everyone that contributed!

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”