PTP 4.9 hz Wire Line Kit, Info Needed

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

PTP 4.9 hz Wire Line Kit, Info Needed

Post by FMROB »

Hello all,

I am working on a quote and there is an item on it that I am not certain about. It reads "PTP 4.9 GHz Wire Line Kit." No other information or part number is available from the agency seeking the bid.

If anyone knows what this is, could you provide a part number, description, and list price.

Thanks, Rob
Bill_G

Re: PTP 4.9 hz Wire Line Kit, Info Needed

Post by Bill_G »

You can get the 49600 with or without T1 support. I'd ask for a clarification.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Bill, I'm going to try, however info is not so forthcoming in this bid situation, if you catch my drift. I would assume that they are wanting to extend a 4 wire circuit over the PTP link. Maybe there is a mux kit available that allows this. I don't really use the PTP stuff.

Thanks, Rob
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, usually there is a technical description someplace that explains the intent of the procurement, and someone to send your questions to. Asking for a 4 wire kit in a PTP link is like asking for left handed seat cushions. They either already have a product and a vendor in mind, and they are just going through the motions, or they don't know what they are asking for, and it will become your job to fulfill their requirements.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Yup, I am thinking that it is more the first thing that you listed. Its still fun to play along.

Thanks, Rob
MassFD
Batboard $upporter

Post by MassFD »

Sounds like my neighbors to the north, they just had someone do a path survey from our main site to their HQ.

If it's them then it's both 1 and 2 as always
Cause Motorola said so that's why
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I have a feeling they want something like the Carlson Trailblazer that offers POTS and ethernet over a low bandwidth link. From what I've heard, Carlson products are pretty good. If that's all you need - to replace the 4W circuits you used to get from the telco, and you don't want to convert to ROIP or invest in a MUX to handle a T1 - this is probably the way to go.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Kev, LOL. Its not them. But I knew about that. I was just shaking my head listening to what is going on, clueless. Very sad.

Bill, yes. I would assume you are correct. I have extensively used the trailblazer here, about 12 links currently. They work, and work well for 2w/4w circuits. The TDM circuits are bullet proof, and reasonably priced in my opinion. Unfortunately we have been using less of them with the advent of IP based consoles (Avtec) and IP based voting solutions, so IP circuits it is with an outpost at the remote site.

I want to check out the Carlson long haul ST IP radios, which are TDM based as well. They make a good product. I had a chance to speak with Carlson at IWCE and its worth looking at. Rack mount connectorized radio, im digging it.

Rob

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”