Quantar T5365A Mic Input on Controller weak

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

EagleTest_Jim
New User

Quantar T5365A Mic Input on Controller weak

Post by EagleTest_Jim »

I have recently set up a Quantar to use as a base station in the 2 meter ham band. Everything works except the mic gain is very low. My suspicion is that there is a software setting for the microphone level that I have not found yet. I notice that the Wireline annunciator is on even though no wireline is connected. I have tried several mics including two brand new HMN-1001Bs. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
d119

Re: Quantar T5365A Mic Input on Controller weak

Post by d119 »

There is no separate alignment for the front panel microphone. Have you done a full alignment on the station, including deviation?

Is the channel deviation set properly in the programming software? For 2 meters, it should be set to 5KHz on both transmit and receive. Is it possible it's set for 2.5KHz?

If not, I would suggest you start there.

Additionally, the "WL ON" indicator illuminates regardless of whether or not a wireline is connected to the station. It simply means that the wireline card is registered in the station, has passed all self tests, and is on-line.

If you want to turn it off, you can disable the wireline card in the station programming, but you will, of course, lose all wireline functionality.
EagleTest_Jim
New User

Post by EagleTest_Jim »

Thanks for the info! I was beginning to think there was no independent setting. I started looking for other things, the first of which was testing the deviation. When I checked it there was no issue. Normal speech yielded 4.5 kHz and yelling into the mic maybe 4.7 or so, guess they have a good compression and/or limiting in these radios. The problem turned out to be that the handi-talkie I was listening to was being overloaded. So all is well now. Thanks again.
Will

Post by Will »

EagleTest_Jim wrote: The problem turned out to be that the handi-talkie I was listening to was being overloaded. So all is well now. Thanks again.
Overloaded Handi-Talkie happens more often than we like.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”