AstroTac receiver priority scan

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

adlertom

AstroTac receiver priority scan

Post by adlertom »

I'm setting up an AstroTac receiver for an agency that is migrating from its current repeater input frequency to a new input frequency. During a transition period, they would like both inputs to work i.e. some field units would be programmed to talk in on frequency X and others on frequency Y. Both inputs would key the same repeater with the same output freq. Eventually everyone would be migrated to input Y and input X will be abandoned.

I set up the AstroTac for the two channels and enabled the scan function. I tested it and both input freqs are received fine.

When I tried to make one of the freqs priority however, that didn't work. An input on X would not interrupt/override an input on Y. I also noticed that there is no detectable audio hole for priority sampling when I monitor the wireline.

The RSS manual explains the priority feature as inserting extra occurrences of the priority channel in the scan sequence i.e 1,1,1,2,1,3,1,4,1,5 for a hypothetical 5 channel scan list. So, it seems that, on the AstroTac, priority scan really is just adding extra sampling in the scan list. It doesn't actually interrupt any non-priority traffic.

Can anyone confirm my findings? I can live without the priority as the input X and input Y users will all be listening to the same output, and shouldn't try to talk over each other. I just mostly curious about why this would differ than, for example, priority scan on a mobile or portable, which WOULD interrupt non priority traffic with priority.

Thanks,

Tom

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”