MCC5500

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

twowayradiony
What radios do you own?: Several!!!

MCC5500

Post by twowayradiony »

Can anyone give some reviews on the MCC5500

Performance,Ease of use , features

Rough price

Any info would be helpful I cant find much on the Motorola site
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Re: MCC5500

Post by Pj »

Well, if you have to ask...you can't afford it :)

Is this replacing an exisiting console or a new installation?

Just to be advised (in case your not aware of what goes into it), you need a complete electronics bank in the back with lots or really expensive cards, wiring, etc. The computer itself is the cheap part. Start thinking in the thousands of dollars range.

We did a CentraCom II to Gold Elite years ago, and that was rather pricey.

Also, in short, its not plug and play.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Pj

Post by Pj »

Also might want to look at this...the partical pricing list for NYS:

http://www.ogs.ny.gov/purchase/prices/7 ... la-Net.pdf
322 MCC CONSOLE L3358 CONSOLE ELECTRONIC SHELF (CES) II $9,500.00 15% $8,075.00
322 MCC CONSOLE L3359 MCC 5500 OPERATOR POSITION (CAB) II $8,500.00 15% $7,225.00
322 MCC CONSOLE L3399 SPARE: CES ASSEMBLY II (NO POWER SUPPLY) $4,800.00 15% $4,080.00
322 MCC CONSOLE L3427 DAP II (INCLUDES 2 ANALOG LICENSES) $2,300.00 15% $1,955.00
322 MCC CONSOLE L3468 MCC SERIES I/O SHELF W/ CONTROLLER & CABLE $1,100.00 15% $935.00
322 MCC CONSOLE B1912 MCC SERIES DESKTOP SPEAKER $450.00 15% $382.50
322 MCC CONSOLE B1913 MCC SERIES HEADSET JACK $200.00 15% $170.00
322 MCC CONSOLE B1914 MCC SERIES DESKTOP GOOSENECK MICROPHONE $250.00 15% $212.50
322 MCC CONSOLE L3333 CERTIFIED MCC 5500 ALIAS DATABASE SERVER $4,500.00 15% $3,825.00
322 MCC CONSOLE L3459 CERTIFIED MCC 5500 OR CSDM WORKSTATION $2,250.00 15% $1,912.50
Jump to page 18
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

twowayradiony wrote:Can anyone give some reviews on the MCC5500

Performance,Ease of use , features

Rough price

Any info would be helpful I cant find much on the Motorola site
This is typically an item that gets a sales team involved. I have installed two of these
consoles. They allow for connections to mobiles (via SB9600 interface) as well as P25 base stations (now no longer mfg'd Quantars via DIU3000 interfaces (DIU is still availible). The other types of interfaces are tone remote and DC. However, we stopped using DC control stations 20 years ago! I have some CDM1550's on SB9600 interfaces, which doesn't extend the MDC codes like a tone remote station does. BTW, you can't page out an CDM1550 type base radio. We page out to MTR2000 tone remote base stations. There are optional buttons and I/O availible for the console. We also use a Alias Data base server to handle the 3000+ entries, with a custom written radio shop portal for this item!
The console seems to handle most everything a non trunking console would need. All settings are software set - the wireline control base stations connect via punch block like the Centra Comm style consoles do. It knows about MDC and has functions available to deal with rogue radios (stun etc).
To add consoles to our present consoles, I priced this out to around $25K per console position. I haven't priced this in a couple of years. Your basic setup has a PC plus (either touch or traditional screen), a console audio box(CAB that sits near the PC- 19 inch wide 1 RU height), headset jacks that connect to this CAB box, treadles for the floor, and a USB connection to the PC. There is a 25 wire connection cable to the console electronics in the back room, where the punch blocks are kept. There are recorder outputs for logging. There also is a headset audio to telco interface (plugs into CAB box). You also can have up to I believe 6 speakers, select, unselect, and then four assigned speakers, for routing specific audio to special speakers. The speakers are special - you can't use just anything. There is a desk mic availible too. Headset jacks are 6 wire with Telco and Radio speaker level controls.
I hope this helps. You need to see the installation PDF manuals, to get a real feel of what your getting into. Really simple to setup.

B.
twowayradiony
What radios do you own?: Several!!!

Post by twowayradiony »

PJ- Thanks but not true. I should have reworded that to say is it worth the price.
I am aware of the nys ogs prices thanks.

I am more concerned with ease of use.

Features ect.

This is an option vs 3 different desk top radio set ups in the same room.
Pj

Post by Pj »

Spending over $50k vs dealing with three desktop radios, I can see the cost/benefit factor.
Dorf411

Post by Dorf411 »

The MIP5000 may be an option for a small scale radio console. The console GUI will be very similar to the MCC5500 but wouldn't need all of the backroom equipment. It uses a simple radio gateway for each of the radio resources which may be connected by tone or direct to the radio.
Pj

Post by Pj »

And I just saw your PM to me. Again, the above statement applies. Your not gaining anything, unless your using it to do MDC/Quickcall paging, alias ID's and all that fun stuff. The support equipment required alone is not worth the aggravation. There are some CC Gold Elite stuff out there on the used market, but again - there is quite a bit of work involved just to get it all up and running.

Sure, you can go to the screen and click a mouse or use the touchscreen (if equipped), but its is so not worth the aggravation, finding someone to do the backroom electronics, pay for the electricity, programming the console, CEB, wiring the tone or wireline interfaces, etc etc (unless you work for a MSS and do this for a living). Each is essentially custom built.

Now, if your really bent on looking for something cool/simialar, you can dig up the old Motorola vRCH (Virtual radio control head) software, but your stuck using a Spectra, Astro Spectra, MCS2000 radios and you are still going to need to use desk mics and speakers - but you can hide radios.

Other console manufactures also require backroom electronics and interfaces (Orbcomm etc).

The only people I have seen with complete working setups are people use do/use to work for MSS and consoles where their specicalty.

I think we need more details on your endevor here. I'd love to have one myself for the cool factor, but I'd be happy just with some old CC2 funiture to rackmount equipment to look nice.

There are at least one or two members here that have personal Gold Elite setups and maybe they can chime in here.

Don't mean to sound standoffish, but its pretty much the hard reality. We are dealing with a company that won't sell you a $5 part without sending it to the depot with a $500 service fee.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I have installed 5 of these consoles in Coolidge and Kearney PD stations.
Programmed for both analog and digital use for local agencies and AZERS.
Initial programming done in shop for the console/cab, getting the individual screens to activate specific radios, and with the icon selection, each screen icon can be set up to allow channel changes, selected/unselected audio as well as channel changes for the selected/highlighted icon, such as PD, where you can select tac-1, then changes to tac-2 and so on.
You can set RX audio levels, mute unselected audio and tone out fire while calling for mutual aid on another channel.
The top 'drawer' on the console should be the card that has iButtons ofr digital operation for connection to an ASTRO digital radio, like a consolette.

A second rack mount device can be installed to run door locks for access security
The consoles can also be GPS syc'd (we used a Spectracom panel for this) but you do not need the DB-9 dongle that uses port power for anything.
The Instant recall recorder can be a bear to get operating properly, depending on computer used(we used Plantronics headsets), and at times you can use defaut settings, but also had to configure each IRR setup manually to ensure proper recording, levels and playback.
Often, the IRR will cut off recorded calls, or go blank in the middle of a conversation, as this was an issue I had o deal wih many times.
Everythinghas to be assigned before you can use it. Build your screen icons and assign the proper punchdown to that icon so it controls the proper radio and channel(we used MTR200s)
PD on one MTR, PW on a second, and fire on the third. All radios are multi channel and had to cross patch capable for interop. 2-wire operation, with PD being repeaed, the other two were conventional, non repeated.
Control cables can NOT be moe than 50 feet in length, or severe latency issues will arise.Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/256/137re.jpg/]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Each console also has a BNC cable to caisy chain to a second/third console for timing/data handling.
jmalaysia
New User

Post by jmalaysia »

I've installed 5 MCC5500s in the last 5 years. They are extremely reliable- none had any problems until last week when a major power surge blew up nearly everything in a 3 console dispatch center. Phones, computers, 911 call center all got damaged. Two MC5500s had CAB failures. The 3rd one survived. All were repaired the next day thanks to Motorola overnighting replacement CABs.
The MCC5500 is extremely easy to operate, but keep in mind that you start with basically a blank canvas and build the user interface to suit your particular needs. The programming is a bit cumbersome the first time you do it, but by the time you are finished it all makes perfect sense.
There is no way I would recommend an MCC5500 for a non-public safety, 3 radio system. An MC2500 would do the job for under $3000.
Will

Post by Will »

wa6ylb wrote:The speakers are special - you can't use just anything.
B.
So, what is so special about the speakers?
d119

Post by d119 »

They are amplified speakers that use an RJ45 interface between the CAB and speaker. Proprietary to the MCC 5500 and MCC 7500 consoles.

FWIW, the speakers, microphones, headset jack boxes, foot switches, instant-recall audio cables and a few other items are compatible between MCC 5500 and MCC 7500.
NickH

Post by NickH »

3 radios? I'd go MIP5000. You could doa 3 position MIP for $25k or so, MCC5500 even on a state contract is $25-$30k PER position....
DLIMartin
New User

Re: MCC5500 Console MIC and SPKR pinouts - appreciate the he

Post by DLIMartin »

Hi-

I'm tasked with connecting an MCC5500 console to an existing analog logger. The local Motorola sales rep says that the only recording output is TCP/IP to a NICELOG (sold under the Motorola name). Not sure it that's true, but I don't see an analog logging output anywhere.

So the plan is to tap and sum the speaker and MIC connections. I took the B1914A microphone apart and confirmed this RJ-45 pinout:

1-2 TX Switch NO
3 MIC +
4,5 Shield ground
6 MIC -
7,8 SPK Switch NO

MIC is an electret with amp, gets external DC bias current from the MC5500

Now I need the B1912 speaker pinout. Does anyone know? Or do you have an extra speaker for sale? Or a source to buy one at a fair price?

Thanks in advance, guys.

-Martin
motodrum216
New User

Post by motodrum216 »

MCC5500 has dedicated analog recorder outputs for each channel, adjustable levels in CSDM, or if you want select or unselect audio you can use the IRR outputs on the CAB, you shouldn't be needing to tap into anything else...

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”