Multi Programming Cable Organization

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Birken Vogt

Multi Programming Cable Organization

Post by Birken Vogt »

We must have at least 7-10 programming cables plus RIB to carry around in the car and keeping them untangled and all accounted for and easy to find is a challenge. Any suggestions on what do do with them besides throw them all in a bag and hope they are there when needed?
Squad5
was mwb9122

Re: Multi Programming Cable Organization

Post by Squad5 »

Zip lock bags for each one.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

I use the ZipLock Freezer bags, they have a white area where you can use a sharpie marker for easy identification. All of my cables are kept in an old laptop case. My OEM RLN4008E fits nicely into a nylon zipper bag that was included in that laptop case.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Bigred
What radios do you own?: Junk that comes and goes...

Post by Bigred »

In my work van seems like the two or three I always need are riding on the dash. The next dozen that are common hang on a cable rack with my test cables and secured with small bungees. All my seldom used/historic cables are in marked zip locks and separated by manufacturer as mentioned. This fills a 12X18 box with several bags. There is no grabbing a cable without some amount of untangling no matter how careful you are.
Lots and lots of watts...
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Birken Vogt wrote:We must have at least 7-10 programming cables plus RIB to carry around in the car and keeping them untangled and all accounted for and easy to find is a challenge. Any suggestions on what do do with them besides throw them all in a bag and hope they are there when needed?
We just had this same discussion on another forum. Zip Lock bags is the overwhelming favorite. There are varying ways of toting them around like brief cases (soft or hard), laptop bags, file boxes, etc., etc., etc.

I like the smaller bags that parts come in, maybe 4x5 or so. They seal up like a zip lock, and many of them have an air vent hole already punched in them.

My most useful label method is with a Brother P-Touch or similar. (My hand writing sucks, even when I block print.) White label stock is my choice but there are other colors available.

I am currently limited to the Professional mobiles and Commercial portables for the most part so I only have 2 cables to worry about. They stay in my laptop carry bag. I have a bunch of other cables in the shop, packaged the same and neatly tucked away in an easy to find box.

Return to “Radio Programming”