Astro 25 III as a NC System Scanner?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jefflaur1
New User

Astro 25 III as a NC System Scanner?

Post by jefflaur1 »

The new digital system uses P25 and has a variety of towers to emply the new VIPER system here in NC. I am wondering how the best way would be to go about programming a Moto Astro 25 HT to simple scan the various frequencies used on these local towers..Witt having to enter in talkgroups etc..just want it to recieve whatever comes off those towers in the various areas.

I would want to program a set of specific frequencies that are used for each tower. It does not have to be able to follow or track a conversation...but does need to be set to scan. A simple recieve only programming chore.

I have the proper cable/rib/software and have programmed these before, but had to enter talkgroups and unit ID numbers etc..and would like to avoid that.
eleet

Re: Astro 25 III as a NC System Scanner?

Post by eleet »

I've used a pro96 to drop VIPER eaves but I haven't been down to NC with a programmed Astro.

You will have to program the system (id and info for all sites you expect to be in range) as well as talkgroups.

Set up zones, and in the home zone put a mode with a simplex talkaround or interop freq. Use scan on that mode, add talkgroups for it on the scan list. If you never land on a mode with a talkgroup the radio will not affiliate. I handle this by making it very difficult to change zones.
KF5LSC
What radios do you own?: APX7000 / small fleet of XTS5K

Re: Astro 25 III as a NC System Scanner?

Post by KF5LSC »

I've done this to monitor a small (two TG) 9600 system down here. Easy to do. All you do is program all of the site's channels as receive only conventional personalities, make up a scanlist with those personalities, and voila you are set.

Return to “Radio Programming”