buying my first ht-1000's

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

danblashkc81
New User

buying my first ht-1000's

Post by danblashkc81 »

Hey guys.
I'm a first timer, looking to buy my first ht-1000's, one uhf and one vhf. I'm a ham, and have been for close to 20 years, so am very comfortable with radios in general, just have some specific questions on how I should have my dealer program some of the options, I already have my list of frequencies and pl's.
1. What do I tell them so they program reverse burst on tx, but not rx on all channels? I won't be using pl's on rx.

2. What's the best way to program the a/b/c switch on the top? I'm thinking for scan. Example, a normal, b scan, and c program scan.
3. Side buttons. One for monitor, but how best to use the other two?
4. What's the best way to program the emergency button? These will all be ham freqs, so I won't have any need for man down capability.
5. Anything else I should have them program?
Would appreciate any other tips, gotya's, pitfalls, things I should know?
Thanks for any help.
Looking forward to playing with this stuff.
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Re: buying my first ht-1000's

Post by N4KVE »

Spend a few extra bucks & purchase MTS2000's. HT1000's needs old DOS Rss, [and an old computer] & hasn't been available for years, while the MTS2000 runs on CPS supported by windows. While the RSS, or CPS is no longer available, the CPS is easier to find. Also on the top 3 pos switch, with the HT1000, it's like a happy meal. If pos 1 does this, then pos 2, & 3 must do that. Like a bundle. However, on the MTS2000, the 3 positions can be anything. The HT1000 can only have 16 ch, while the MTS2000 can have 48-256 ch, depending on the model. I recently picked up a VHF B-5 MTS 2000 for $65 on this forum from a trusted seller. It's worth the couple extra dollars. On my radios, I program the top switch as 1 = blank, 2 = low power, & 3 = pl decode off. It is impossible to program a HT1000 like that. The top red button I program as nuisance delete, which means if the radio is scanning, & is stuck on a busy repeater that I don't want to listen to, when I press that button, that freq is temporarily deleted from the scan list. As for the side buttons, one is scan, & the other is light, while the top blue button is open squelch. [hear noise] GARY
Victor Xray

Re: buying my first ht-1000's

Post by Victor Xray »

As a ham, I'd buy a pair of JT1000's before a pair HT1000's. Same form factor, with LCD, DTMF, and front panel programmable.

Return to “Radio Programming”