IFR1200 Super S

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Fudeba
New User
What radios do you own?: Maxtrac, GM300, GTX, Mocom70

IFR1200 Super S

Post by Fudeba »

Hello to all.

Recently acquired IFR 1200 Super S in a excellent status.

But, i not have certain if have a tracking generator (option 12) installed.

Inside, third module, as labeled: DUPLEX/TRACKING with the code 7005-5143-501.

It's a tracking generator? I not have certain this, because if I press 2nd function and 5/track, and press up/down keys options is only DUPLEX HIGH and DUPLEX LOW.

How can I make sure I'm tracking generator installed? Where should look internally to know what is the option 12 installed?

Could be some defect here that it leaves the tracking generator work?
This message was written using electrons 100% recyclable...
jry

Re: IFR1200 Super S

Post by jry »

The tracking gen is an option even on the 1200 Super S .

It's a feature normally enabled at the factory in the processor card.

There is normally an additional high level amp installed for the tracking gen output with the Option 12 as well
Fudeba
New User
What radios do you own?: Maxtrac, GM300, GTX, Mocom70

Post by Fudeba »

Ok, that is an optional I already knew. However as I said, I need a physical form (inspecting the inside of the IFR) to know where the tracking generator is installed, or which module is replaced.

Because as I said, strangely one of the modules is labeled as "DUPLEX / TRACKING" and has the P/N 7005-5143-501.

This might have some connection with it have tracking generator?
This message was written using electrons 100% recyclable...
jry

Post by jry »

You really already have all the hardware for the tracking gen ...that does come standard on the Super S with the exception of the amp for the high level output and a short SMB jumper between the Duplex Track module and the first spec anal module
The feature is enabled on the processor card ( same one you have ) by the factory
drdslam
New User

Post by drdslam »

jry wrote:You really already have all the hardware for the tracking gen ...that does come standard on the Super S with the exception of the amp for the high level output and a short SMB jumper between the Duplex Track module and the first spec anal module
The feature is enabled on the processor card ( same one you have ) by the factory
On the S the feature set is enabled by the boot ROM firmware, all the software had source code options and were enabled at compile time. On the Super S it is front panel enableable and instructions are on Usenet in a couple of places. You need to know the version number you want to go to, they are the same on the S and SS, they are set by writing a one byte word wherein each wanted option is a certain bit, then restating it as a hex nomber. The more common option sets are listed in sales literature or the service manual. For instance a Opt 00 was none, 01 was trunk or track, 02 the other, 03 was both, und so weiter. Track gen involved a booster amp but in practice you don't need it, just a jumper. Other options involved actual hardware, some of which were "invasive" and some easily installed. The AM envelope display was the worst, it involved a lot of trace cutting and kluge wiring. The 10.7 module and the scope bottom board both had to be hacked on quite a bit, it was unsanitary and putting a 10.7 output on the back panel for a scope would have been a far better solution especially since the digital DMM like scopes were ubiquitous by the end of 1200 production. There was an AMPS cell phone option that today would be otiose, and an audio mod that gave you a balanced pair output to the telco, and there was one customer that insisted on having a different main RF jack on the front panel with a panel mount plate that looked awful. I think the DMM was an option at one time, but by the Super S it was standard.

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”