ROIP 102 Modules

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

ROIP 102 Modules

Post by mrtor »

Good afternoon everyone

I have stumbled across these for a simple ROIP application

http://www.dbltek.com/products/roip_102.html

has anyone in this forum come across these or used these in the real world as yet ?

From reading the online manuals they look like just what I need in terms of a very simple ROIP link between 2 sites.

Any thoughts appreciated

Thank you in advance
Mike
boteman
What radios do you own?: AudioMate 360

Re: ROIP 102 Modules

Post by boteman »

That looks like an interesting device. I gather from reading their manual that they approached this from a telephony standpoint.

What kind of radios will you be linking?

I do work for a U.S. company that makes a family of RoIP gateways, one of which is specifically targeted at LMR linking. I developed a neat, simple setup that creates a VPN tunnel so that you have your own pipe between two sites with a gateway at each end. I posted the details of the VPN configuration on another thread here about a week or so ago.

So you could take a couple AudioMate 360r gateways, a couple Cisco RV042 VPN routers with a decent IP network between them and you're in business. The beauty part about those RV042 boxes is that they can utilize dyndns.com to resolve public dynamic i.p. addresses to keep the tunnel nailed up even when your ISP changes your address on you. That is golden. It takes a minute or two for them to realize that the WAN link is down and to recover, but it beats having to drive to the site to do it manually. Or you can just pay for a static i.p. on the public side and be done with it.

I know of a couple installations where they installed 5 new rebanded 851MHz interop repeaters at a new site and used AudioMates to link them over a private network to the old 866MHz repeaters at the old site. Check out if these will work for your application.

http://www.voiceinterop.com/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9925/index.html

I can't guarantee that the Cisco link will work since they're always changing their web site, but if it doesn't work just search for RV042 on cisco.com to find it. It's targeted at small businesses so it's a lot more solid than the consumer-grade junk that we all know and hate.
mrtor
What radios do you own?: Analogue, Digital x lots

Post by mrtor »

boteman wrote:That looks like an interesting device. I gather from reading their manual that they approached this from a telephony standpoint.

What kind of radios will you be linking?

Thinking of something like gm300's as I have heaps of them and they are easy to interface too

I do work for a U.S. company that makes a family of RoIP gateways, one of which is specifically targeted at LMR linking. I developed a neat, simple setup that creates a VPN tunnel so that you have your own pipe between two sites with a gateway at each end. I posted the details of the VPN configuration on another thread here about a week or so ago.

Looks interesting, what sort of dollars are they ????

So you could take a couple AudioMate 360r gateways, a couple Cisco RV042 VPN routers with a decent IP network between them and you're in business. The beauty part about those RV042 boxes is that they can utilize dyndns.com to resolve public dynamic i.p. addresses to keep the tunnel nailed up even when your ISP changes your address on you. That is golden. It takes a minute or two for them to realize that the WAN link is down and to recover, but it beats having to drive to the site to do it manually. Or you can just pay for a static i.p. on the public side and be done with it.

I know of a couple installations where they installed 5 new rebanded 851MHz interop repeaters at a new site and used AudioMates to link them over a private network to the old 866MHz repeaters at the old site. Check out if these will work for your application.

http://www.voiceinterop.com/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9925/index.html

I can't guarantee that the Cisco link will work since they're always changing their web site, but if it doesn't work just search for RV042 on cisco.com to find it. It's targeted at small businesses so it's a lot more solid than the consumer-grade junk that we all know and hate.
dano3131

Post by dano3131 »

Have you got these working? I was thinking of buying a set?
Thanks..
boteman

Post by boteman »

Yes, I set up a pair of AudioMates connected to a pair of RV042 routers and they worked, even with dynamic DNS host names. Of course, you need a good low-latency path between them. A poor network path will result in choppy audio.
dano3131

Post by dano3131 »

So you used the audio mates NOT the ROIP-102 right? I was looking for info on a ROIP-102.
TWEMARS
What radios do you own?: More than you can ever imagine

Post by TWEMARS »

WHOA, let's start over here. I have a pair of these RoIP-102 boxes. This product's help is worse than a very bad joke. The eBay seller referred me to a link for the manual which is written in jibberish. The manufacturer's only response was to ask me who I bought the devices from. All communication, like there was any, went dead from there.

So here's my dilemma: I inherited a pair of Telex IP-223 devices. My IT guy (actually an ISP owner) and I spent three hours trying to make sense of their nomenclature before throwing in the towel and calling Telex for help.

Telex's support is a real embarrassment. The help line guy said the boxes can't communicate over the Internet. I tore him a new place to sit and banged the phone down. A few minutes a very nice sales manager called me and asked if I would send him all our info, Internal and external IP addresses, etc. I did and in a little while he sent us a nice diagram with pictures of the devices, settings and everything else that I was supposed to know. The diagram contained 14 pieces of information and SIXTEEN ERRORS. We were however able, in another hour and a half, to successfully decipher their information and get the boxes talking albeit not reliably.

While fooling around with the Telex stuff I also had a pair of their NXU-2 boxes. I called Raytheon and they said that they definitely could communicate with one another via the Internet and could get me going in 10 minutes so while waiting for Telex to respond I was able to configure the NXU boxes, build interface cables, set levels and have them working flawlessly over the Internet WITHIN AN HOUR. (I have two ISP's at my house so I can actually test out over the Internet.)

That said, do these things READ: CHEAP RoIP 102 boxes actually connect with themselves over the Internet, no servers, no magic, no other boxes? What is the setup? EXACTLY what is the correct firmware version that I have to install and EXACTLY what is the procedure?

The JPS's are quite pricey although not as expensive as the IP-223's which, by the way, have two SEPARATE audio paths so I's really like to get these working but only have a week or so to send them back.

Any help would be appreciated.
I have a Halcyon TIMS. It has an audio spectrum analyzer.
I have an IFR 1200. It has an audio distortion analyzer.
I can test and alter the audio response and distortion of my analog radio system to make it sound better.
I have a pair of socks.
Why would I want to put them in my mouth just so I could sound like I'm using a DMR radio?
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

If you got the NXU-2A's to work, and the Telex IP223 manual doesn't make sense to you, then keep the NXU's. The IP-223's were not meant to operate on the public internet. They function by passing multicast packets which are generally blocked. You put them behind firewalls in a private subnet, and link the sites with vpn tunnels that will pass multicast packets between the nets. NXU's pass unicast packets, and will work across the wild internet without a firewall. However, they are not routers. They don't do nat, or port forwarding, and won't be on any private subnet you might have at each end. So, they will be isolated devices that you only access from the public side, or serial port. They are easier to work with behind a firewall with a vpn between the sites.
boteman

Post by boteman »

Bill_G wrote:They are easier to work with behind a firewall with a vpn between the sites.
It would be foolhardy (to put it mildly) to send traffic over the open Internet. A VPN adds a layer of security as well as making your life easier in managing the boxes. I would consider a VPN mandatory.
mllockwood
New User
What radios do you own?: Several...

Post by mllockwood »

TWEMARS wrote:WHOA, let's start over here. I have a pair of these RoIP-102 boxes. This product's help is worse than a very bad joke. The eBay seller referred me to a link for the manual which is written in jibberish. The manufacturer's only response was to ask me who I bought the devices from. All communication, like there was any, went dead from there.

So here's my dilemma: I inherited a pair of Telex IP-223 devices. My IT guy (actually an ISP owner) and I spent three hours trying to make sense of their nomenclature before throwing in the towel and calling Telex for help.

Telex's support is a real embarrassment. The help line guy said the boxes can't communicate over the Internet. I tore him a new place to sit and banged the phone down. A few minutes a very nice sales manager called me and asked if I would send him all our info, Internal and external IP addresses, etc. I did and in a little while he sent us a nice diagram with pictures of the devices, settings and everything else that I was supposed to know. The diagram contained 14 pieces of information and SIXTEEN ERRORS. We were however able, in another hour and a half, to successfully decipher their information and get the boxes talking albeit not reliably.

While fooling around with the Telex stuff I also had a pair of their NXU-2 boxes. I called Raytheon and they said that they definitely could communicate with one another via the Internet and could get me going in 10 minutes so while waiting for Telex to respond I was able to configure the NXU boxes, build interface cables, set levels and have them working flawlessly over the Internet WITHIN AN HOUR. (I have two ISP's at my house so I can actually test out over the Internet.)

That said, do these things READ: CHEAP RoIP 102 boxes actually connect with themselves over the Internet, no servers, no magic, no other boxes? What is the setup? EXACTLY what is the correct firmware version that I have to install and EXACTLY what is the procedure?

The JPS's are quite pricey although not as expensive as the IP-223's which, by the way, have two SEPARATE audio paths so I's really like to get these working but only have a week or so to send them back.

Any help would be appreciated.
I know this is an old post... but felt obliged to see if I could provide any assistance with the TELEX IP-223's since it seems you had some problems with configuration of them over the public Internet. They "will" work over the standard Internet using unicast. However, in a client/console(s) mode, they're primarily designed for multicast. By using the unicast IP of the remote IP-223 you're wanting to connect to, it will send the packets directly to that device instead of a multicast broadcast (ie point to point IP-223 link).

I have a little inside knowledge about these units and am more than willing to offer any assistance if still needed.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”