Bricked HT1000?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Lake Trader
New User

Bricked HT1000?

Post by Lake Trader »

Hi, I got hold of this mint condition VHF HT1000. (ya, on EBAY) and when I tried to program it I get the following message: "invalid model, customer, or serial number. Is this what is called a "bricked radio". If not, is there any around this. The radio is putting out 5 watts on all 16 channels around 156 Mhz frequencies. I have some "parts" radios. Could these be used in some way to get this radio to be programmed.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jim
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Re: Bricked HT1000?

Post by ai4ui »

Are you sure its an HT-1000? It being in a HT1000 housing means nothing, it could be a MT2000 or a MTS2000. Try the MTS CPS if you have it and see if you can read the radio.
Wyrd bið ful ãræd, Fate is inexorable...
Will

Post by Will »

Always make sure you can read the radio FIRST. Save the 'codeplug' information to a safe place before making any changes so you can fall back if needed.

Are you running the HT1000 RSS in DOS only?
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Also, if the radio powers up and transmits/receives, then it is not "bricked". It could have a damaged connector on the control board or a damaged flex to the cover.
35-K9-1
What radios do you own?: XG-100F, VP900, VP600, APX7K

Post by 35-K9-1 »

A possible cause could be that the previous owner forced a codeplug from a different radio into it. I second what ai4ui said. Try different software and see if you get lucky.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Hi , I made some replies on this thread but not see them here. If I am the poster on the original thread, is this normal? For instance, the message I sent re: the radio being read with MTSX software.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

At this time, your posts require approval to be viewed - you have to wait until a queue moderator (like me) approves them. That usually happens fairly quickly. Eventually, when you've posted enough that it's proven you aren't a spammer, your posts will go through automatically.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Perhaps it would help with verification if you looked up ham radio license: AF6EC and send me an email at AF6EC@ARRL.net that I could respond to. Nobody else would be able to have this email address. Of course I guess that would not guarantee I was not a "spammer" but I would think there would be very few ham radio operators in the spamming business.

Thanks for your consideration. Jim
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

Don't take it personnal, there have been issues in the past which is why the rule is in effect. Since your message came through how about getting back on track so we can help you with your radio?

If the radio works but can't be read or written to with the HT1K RSS then it is either a MT/MTS in a HT wrapper or there is an issue with the flex. You mentioned having other parts, so maybe if you have a different cover you could swap it out and try again.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

I do understand why the screening process is in place. No problem with that.

I am wondering if you got my post saying that I tried to read the radio with MTSX DOS and it went through the process of reading the blocks and concluded with this message "codeplug too old for this application". Would this be an indication that this radio is of the MT series? I will try a different flex.
Will

Post by Will »

He's right down the road from me. If he still has problems I may be able to help.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

l live in Yorba Linda. Any help would be more than welcome. I have a lot to learn.
ai4ui
was kf4pxz

Post by ai4ui »

If the flex is bad then it still wouldn't have read the radio at all. It seems likely that you do have a MT/MTS type radio but the "codeplug too old for this application" is a weird error. Usually if a radio is programmed with a newer version of RSS and you try to go backwards it would say the codeplug is too new for this application. I do know things get hinky when you have a radio that was programmed with CPS and then you try and go back to an older version of RSS which may be the case. Anyhow, find someone who has the latest/greatest MTSX CPS and see if it will read, although if it is a MT2000 the MTSX CPS won't read it either.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

The MTS2000 CPS says "unsupported model". Trying to run an MT2000 with this software says "not MTS2000 radio" If the mystery radio is not an MTS, I would think it would also get the "not MTS" radio message rather than "unsupported".

If the post from Will idicates he is near Yorba Linda, I would appreciate knowing how we can get in contact.
Lake Effect

Post by Lake Effect »

Possibly I missed something here. It is stated that it is a HT1000 radio and reading it with MTSX rss and MTS cps didn't work. How about the actual HT1000 rss that was supposed to work with it. I haven't seen results from using that. Did I miss that part?

L.E.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Actual HT1000 RSS says: "invalid model, customer, or serial number". It does not try to read the radio at all. I have a little more information. I opened the case and it really looks untouched on the inside. I know cases can be changed but I have opened a lot of these and usually its pretty obvious someone had been there before. Not only does the case look new but also the back plane. Inside says Jedi Plain Cover 7-8-96.

I also took a closer look at the charging stand that came with the radio. It is also mint like the radio. It has a tag on it reading "FCPS (DIT). In researching I am pretty sure this refers to Fairfax (Virginia) Public Schools and the DIT standing for one of their internal programs. Jim
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

What version of HT1000 RSS are you using? If it's an old version and the radio is a "CN" or "DN" version, the earlier RSS will throw up when it sees the model number.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Version 3.0300. I have programmed many DN's with this RSS. I am thinking this problem is not going to be resolved, but still hopefull. Jim
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

yeah if you've got 3.03, that isn't the issue.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Could it be a EU spec GP900?
Chris
MaxK98
What radios do you own?: Lots of Motorola!

Post by MaxK98 »

Is the label in the back of the radio is still there? Maybe you could give us the model number
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

OK heres the label info, Model: H01KDC9AADN
S/N 402TZE9066 Z
Does this help? Still looking for help. Thank you
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

According to this model number it seems to be a regular non-display VHF HT1000 with Narrow band. your issue is interesting because I bought a small lot of surplus UHF Ht1000 from the gov't and they also have this issue. Although mine have a user applied label saying A=Crypted but I cannot find anything special about these.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

No user applied label on mine. Can your radios talk to each other? Or interesting if you program a regular HT1000 and see if it can talk to your surplus radios. I am betting they will not. Have you tried to program them with the MTSX DOS software and does it read the blocks as mine did? I cannot think of any thing else to try with mine.
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

Yesterday I tried to read all six of them and to my surprise I was able to read and write to one of them. Looked like a regular HT1000 proclamation and was not able to find anything special under the switch menu related to that "crypted" function. I could not directly talk to the other radios since all the frequencies were set for a repeater on duplex but after setting the channels to my own frequencies on simplex the mic volume is muted and the receive audio is very very low but I hear a very loud carrier modulation. Does not change if I change the switch position from A to B/C and same thing happens with an accessory.

As the software I used the last HT1000 RSS (3.03) with real DOS using a RIB-less cable and have 0 issues with other radios. Only this batch seems to have been some way modified maybe HEX or using the forbidden tools? Maybe an expert could chime in to help us out.
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

Yesterday I tried to read all six of them and to my surprise I was able to read and write to one of them. Looked like a regular HT1000 proclamation and was not able to find anything special under the switch menu related to that "crypted" function. I could not directly talk to the other radios since all the frequencies were set for a repeater on duplex but after setting the channels to my own frequencies on simplex the mic volume is muted and the receive audio is very very low but I hear a very loud carrier modulation. Does not change if I change the switch position from A to B/C and same thing happens with an accessory.

As the software I used the last HT1000 RSS (3.03) with real DOS using a RIB-less cable and have 0 issues with other radios. Only this batch seems to have been some way modified maybe HEX or using the forbidden tools? Maybe an expert could chime in to help us out.
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

or Maybe we could "force" the codeplug into the radios? As for me they are all the same model numbers and could use the codeplug from the HT1000 I can read.

As of your radio Lake Trader, Did you miss a number? I do have a VHF HT1000 here with almost the same model number but with H01KDC9AA3DN

Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

Hi, I left the "3" out. I have same programming set as you. Never have had this problem on any other radio. Have you tried to read yours with MTSX?
I do have other code plugs, but it seems if the radio cannot be read, a code plug could not be forced. The hex mode you mentioned may have some merit. I do have a hex editor that I have never used. Again though, could the hex be addressed when the radio cannot be read? And could you explain the hidden tools? I am ready to try most anything. Your batch of radios sounds really weird. Jim
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

Jim,

I just tried to read the radio with the MTSX RSS and it says communication with radio failed even if the radio does make an audible beep
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Take the unit in question apart and post photos of the controller board and its part number stickers.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

I have the image but I need some help in getting in the post.
Lake Trader
New User

Post by Lake Trader »

OK. hopefully this will result in the picture. Thank you.
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

are you writing to the radio, with CP's this problem is common when you have a radio that you use for a template and write to multiple radios there is a clone feature in the CPS for CP radios, in your case you may want to read the codeplug first or you may need to use the homebaked WARIS RADIO EDITOR tool to modify the serial/model number
MaxK98

Post by MaxK98 »

SOrry to revive this thread, but do you get a beep when the radio powers up? I did fix my issue where the radios would not read and it turned out to be bad grouding to the backplate. After I fixed the ground issue, the radios did beep on startup and programming worked fine.

Return to “Radio Programming”