Quantar repeater sounds like heterodyning

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Wiregeek

Quantar repeater sounds like heterodyning

Post by Wiregeek »

Hello folks,

Got a Quantar repeater that sounds like there's heterodyning going on on the TX side. Only happens when a subscriber keys the repeater, I don't get the interference when I front panel key the repeater, and there's nothing audible except for noise floor when I unsquelch the receiver.

The Quantar is setup for mixed-mode, and I don't have access to the codeplug for the subscribers, which are XTL and XTS series. I'm 75% certain the subscribers are operating in analog, as there's paging happening, and pagers setup to RX from this repeater.

I disconnected the RX antenna and threw a load onto the receiver, with no change in results. Swapped power supply and receiver and for a few days traffic was passing, but the hang time was still howling.

Suspects are audio processing circuitry on the control board, possibly hear clear / companding going on.

Come to think of it, I need to try turning companding off...

Any thoughts on what would make a Quantar howl like it's heterodyning?

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”