1600 mistake?

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

josephny
New User

1600 mistake?

Post by josephny »

Hi,

I just won an auction for a 1600 (late model, so it says), and now I'm getting nervous.

I was searching for tutorials, quick starts, etc. to help get up to speed, but I found none.

Then I found plenty of negative comments about the 1600, and how slow (painful) it is to tune filters/cavities and how there are so many other models that are so much better (and not more expensive).

I bought it to work on ham repeaters -- filter tuning, sensitivity, etc.

Did I make a mistake? Should I offer the seller some money to cancel the purchase and look elsewhere?

Thank you,

Joseph
jry

Re: 1600 mistake?

Post by jry »

I wouldn't think so. The 1600 is much more sophisticated than most people really need including those in the business ( myself included ).

I would be cautious who's opinion you listen too since most out there really do not have the background or direct experience.

There are a lot of different views on how best to tune duplexers. Duplexers are not really shaped filters that require a tracking generator but just very high Q filters at either 2 or 4 frequencies points that can be tuned discreetly by just using the Duplex function as one approach. It's alwasy good to be able to verify the total frequency response with the tracking gen feature. There are also cable fault tests in there as well

The nice thing about the 1600 is that the generate and receive are independent even though you program them with an "offset" so you have full cross band testing capability.

The 1600 is relatively high power but I would always suggest using an external high power attenuator to protect the internal input from having the duty cycle exceeded.

The tracking gen is great to look at the overall response and if you want to tune using that feature that's fine but not really needed.
josephny
New User

Post by josephny »

Thank you for the info.

I've had second thoughts and I'm really leaning towards a Rigol DSA815 (SA/TG). It's portable (small and light) and new (I don't have to worry about what do if it fails).

My hesitation is that it doesn't modulate the signal so I don't know how to test for receiver sensitivity.
GlennD

Post by GlennD »

I have had two IFR 1600's. For general use and with the spectrum an\alizer -tracking generator they are hard to beat.
d119

Post by d119 »

I in fact bought my 1600 from GlennD, and it works just fine for most everything. Once you learn how to use it, which isn't all that difficult, you're home-free!

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”