Remote Mount kits for MaxTrac 300

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Varhammer
New User

Remote Mount kits for MaxTrac 300

Post by Varhammer »

Can anyone shed some light on the remote head mounting kits seen on another site.

I am interested in hearing how those using such a setup works out?

Any guidance to where I can find a kit is appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
VE3HKB
New User

Re: Remote Mount kits for MaxTrac 300

Post by VE3HKB »

Motorola offered a remote mount kit for the Radius GM300, but not for the Maxtrac 300.
An aftermarket kit, called a QuickMount was available for some time from IDA for the Maxtrac. It is long discontinued, although you may still find some around.
I can't provide any details on the latter, but the GM300 kit came with adapters for separating the control head from the chassis, and connected them with a ribbon cable. We never did too many of them, but they worked well. The only downside was that the ribbon cable was prone to damage if not carefully run.
KB2ZTX
was jsikora

Post by KB2ZTX »

Used many of the QM kits over the years, and even some of the QM2 kits. Never had many issues with them. Did install one GM300 with the factory kit but ribbon cable got pinched. It wasn't the best cable but the concept was fine. I still have some old QM1 kits floating around from removals and such.
KB2ZTX
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I realize this post is about 8 months old but have info for others in future.
I do know for a fact that a remote mount kit was made for the Motorola Maxtrac.
I thought it was even Motorola that made it but wont swear by that.
I have installed several of these maxtrac remotes and heres the difference between the GM300 remote kit and a maxtrac remote separation kit.
The Maxtrac remote kit used a Computer round 25 pin to a 25 pin cable similar to the one youd use for a printer on your computer.
This 25 round pin computer cable was the length you needed per install which I recall aprox 15 ft.
I'm sure you could still today find that 25db pin cable on ebay or an old computer shop.
The GM300 remote mount did use a flat ribbon cable with a slender rectangular end that's longer as in wide but onlt 2 pins high so pretty slender as in thin but wide .
Also the GM300 remote mount put the speaker audio through the same flat ribbon cable where as the MAXTRAC remote mount DID NOT run the speaker audio through the round cable but instead had a 2 pin connector with two separate wires that the speaker audio was put through from rear mount radio to front mounted radio heads speaker.
Now you can take a GM300 quick mount II kit and use it on a maxtrac as it did also use the round 25 pin computer cable.
Motorolas GM300 remote mount kit used the flat ribbon cable.
Quick mount used the much more robust 25 pin round computer cable.
As stated you can modify the GM300 quick mount II remote by removing the wires on the speakers plug in endes and run them separate from rear mount to front mounts speaker wires after you in solder them from mount . ( Just run two wires hook each up at each end as in just lengthen to needed length.
Then on the maxtrac head and rear radio look at where you plug into the gm300 youll notice the connectors two pins less due to no speaker on a maxtrac but there is on the gm300 but you removed those two for the maxtrac or you can hook maxtracs speaker audio thru those two wxtra pins as add the two wires here and hook up at other end the same and for get the two extra speaker audio wires maxtrac had you do and use the gm300 extra unused connectors thru the 25 pin round computer cable.
I do have several gm300 remote kits and parts on hand as I do have customers still using the GM300 today since they were 12.5 narrow band rigs from Motorola so still legal units today wth the new 12.5 kHz narrow band ruling.
Satalite
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I realize this post is about 8 months old but have info for others in future.
I do know for a fact that a remote mount kit was made for the Motorola Maxtrac.
I thought it was even Motorola that made it but wont swear by that.
I have installed several of these maxtrac remotes and heres the difference between the GM300 remote kit and a maxtrac remote separation kit.
The Maxtrac remote kit used a Computer round 25 pin to a 25 pin cable similar to the one youd use for a printer on your computer.
This 25 round pin computer cable was the length you needed per install which I recall aprox 15 ft.
I'm sure you could still today find that 25db pin cable on ebay or an old computer shop.
The MOTOROLA GM300 remote mount did use a flat ribbon cable with a slender rectangular end that's longer as in wide but onlt 2 pins high so pretty slender as in thin but wide .
Also the GM300 remote mount put the speaker audio through the same flat ribbon cable where as the MAXTRAC remote mount DID NOT run the speaker audio through the round cable but instead had a 2 pin connector with two separate wires that the speaker audio was put through from rear mount radio to front mounted radio heads speaker.
Now you can take a GM300 quick mount II kit and use it on a maxtrac as it did also use the round 25 pin computer cable.
Motorolas GM300 remote mount kit used the flat ribbon cable.
Quick mount used the much more robust 25 pin round computer cable.
As stated you can modify the GM300 quick mount II remote by removing the wires on the speakers plug in endes and run them separate from rear mount to front mounts speaker wires after you in solder them from mount . ( Just run two wires hook each up at each end as in just lengthen to needed length.
Then on the maxtrac head and rear radio look at where you plug into the gm300 youll notice the connectors two pins less due to no speaker on a maxtrac but there is on the gm300 but you removed those two for the maxtrac or you can hook maxtracs speaker audio thru those two wxtra pins as add the two wires here and hook up at other end the same and forget the two extra speaker audio wires maxtrac had you do and use the gm300 extra unused connectors thru the 25 pin round computer cable.
If wire in 25 pin cable is too small audio will sound crappy and if so run the two separate speaker audio wires as previously described with bigger wire such as 18 awg.
I do have several gm300 remote kits and parts on hand as I do have customers still using the GM300 today since they were 12.5 narrow band rigs from Motorola so still legal units today wth the new 12.5 kHz narrow band ruling.
Satalite

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”