CP200 Programming

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

cduleck
New User

CP200 Programming

Post by cduleck »

I have a few CP200s I'm trying to program and I ran into a small issue...well kind of a big issue. I programmed 3 frequencies into the first radio but when I hook it up to the service monitor it shows the same frequency programmed into all three channels. I cloned that code plug into another radio, hooked up that radio to the service monitor and it shows 3 different frequencies as it should. Here are the steps I took next and the results:
-Programmed frequency 1 only into the radio----radio acts unprogrammed
-Programmed frequency 2 only into the radio---radio shows that frequency
-Programmed frequency 3 only into the radio---radio acts unprogrammed
-Programmed all 3 frequencies---radio shows only frequency 2 on all 3 channels.

This only happens on the first radio. The second radio works perfectly fine with the same code plug. Is this radio dead?
jackhackett

Re: CP200 Programming

Post by jackhackett »

Sounds like a bad channel selector switch causing the radio to stay on channel 2.
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Is what's showing in your "channel position" tab lining up with what's programmed into the "conventional personalities" tab?
cduleck
New User

Post by cduleck »

It's not the channel selector because when I go to channel 4 which is unprogrammed I get the unprogrammed tone. Yes the channel position tab is correct and when I use this same code plug on another cp200 it works fine.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

cduleck wrote: -Programmed frequency 1 only into the radio----radio acts unprogrammed
-Programmed frequency 2 only into the radio---radio shows that frequency
-Programmed frequency 3 only into the radio---radio acts unprogrammed
How exactly did you do this, did you program freq 1 in the channel 1 position with the other positions blank, then freq 2 in the channel 2 position with the others blank, and so forth? Or did you program each frequency into the channel 1 position, or program each freq into all of the positions?

What do you mean 'acts unprogrammed', do you get the unprogrammed tone or does it just not transmit?
cduleck
New User

Post by cduleck »

I programmed the frequencies into channel 1 position and left the other positions unprogrammed. and I get the unprogrammed tone. Sorry for the late response had to put this on the back burner to deal with family issues.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

I am not familiar with details of the CP200 channel selector circuit but most radios use a 4 bit binary code from the channel selector switch to the CPU.

It is likely that the switch or the connection to the CPU is not providing the binary "1" bit but the binary "2" bit is working. Since Channel 3 is binary bits 1 & 2 it is not working due to the missing "1" bit. If you program all channels, it is likely that Channel 3 will show up with the Channel 2 frequency. Programming all 16 channels should show similar errors based on the 4 bit binary logic table and whether or not the binary "4" and "8" bits are working.

You say that you get the unprogrammed tone on Channel 4 with Channel 4 not programmed. This means that the binary "4" bit from the switch is probably recognized OK by the CPU and it recognizes the channel is not programmed. If Channel 4 was programed it should work. The binary logic for Channel 4 is the "4" bit and no "1" or "2" bit so it would still work if the problem with the radio was the "1" bit not working.

It is difficult to diagnose the problem for sure with only 3 channels programmed. Program all channels, each with a unique frequency, and see what happens.

This is a common symptom in many radios and usually means a bad switch or flex wiring.

Return to “Radio Programming”