XTL 5000 DUAL HEADS

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Richard Collier

XTL 5000 DUAL HEADS

Post by Richard Collier »

I want to run a dual head set up in my Tundra. I know both heads work they have been checked. Problem is I can not get the second head to power on. I have doubled checked the programming of the heads in the radio wide page. everything is set by the book but for the life of me it will not power on. All cables and fuses are good,everything is connected. But no power. I ran the control cable from the second to the front head blue plug and nothing.Even ran it to the radios blue plug and nothing. I am lost, I do have the yellow and red power cables to the second head and first head also. Am I missing something pleas help.
Astro Spectra

Re: XTL 5000 DUAL HEADS

Post by Astro Spectra »

I could well be wrong but I seem to remember something about setting the second head to a #2 address by holding a button down on power up.

Here ya go:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=113136
Richard Collier

Yep I thought of that too.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You need to make sure that the second head is supplied power to the red connector via the red, yellow and black wires from that connector. The red wire needs to be connected to a hot 12 volt feed all the time. The yellow wire to the accessory power of the vehicle, so it goes on and off with the key switch. Both heads should have the yellow wire fed from the same connection in the vehicle. Make sure the black wire is connected to the metal body of the vehicle for a good ground.

Follow the head programming ID set up in the link that was provided in a post above.

If the head is not powering up, check to make sure all the fuses are good and you do have power on both the red and yellow wires. Double check that the black ground wire is actually going to a ground and is not floating on a piece of plastic instead.

Other than trouble shooting the power feeds, you could have a bad head. The head will power up without the radio connected if you apply power.

Don't do what I frequently to on the second head and forget to connect up the speaker.

Let the members on here know what you found that was causing the second head to not power up. We all learn from each others problems and solutions.

Jim
Richard Collier

54C208-001844-7 is my flash code. I do not think the radio is Vmode as defined in the software.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Minor addition to Jim's post: only the primary head's yellow lead needs to be connected to ignition-switched 12V. The secondary head only needs B+ on the read lead and ground.

At the very least, both heads should power on and go into maintenance mode if there is a comm failure somewhere. The head not powering up at all leads me to believe there is a DC issue somewhere.
Richard Collier

Starting to lean towards a control head problem. I know the second head worked but now it shows no sign of life. I even plugged the radio into the second head buy itself and it is not powering on. So we will see as this saga continues for the quest of a dual head radio.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

There are picofuses on the CHIB and the head you can check.
Richard Collier

I have a control head coming in today on a 380-470 radio that is set up for dual head operation. I should be able to just use a head off of that radio and check it out. Any one have a picture of the fuses on the head inside so I know what I am looking for.

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”