CDM1550 VHF overheating

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wcu02mpa

CDM1550 VHF overheating

Post by wcu02mpa »

I have a CDM1550 VHF (non-LS) AAM25KKF9AA5AN. It is recently acquired. It reads and writes fine, transmits and receives fine. The problem is when I plug it in the heat sink gets hot, even when not transmitting. Any ideas?

I have never seen this before.
I may not fire the first shot, but I will fire the last one.
d119

Re: CDM1550 VHF overheating

Post by d119 »

Probably a failed or failing PA transistor.
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

If there is anything connected to the accessory connector, make sure that none of the speaker output pins are grounded. I had a bus radio do that do me on a swap out one time, the speaker they already had was grounded.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Is it a remote mount? If it is, open the head, and put some insulation between the circuit board and speaker terminals. A couple layers of electrical tape should do. In the remote mount kit they put an exposed ground pad on the board right under where the speaker terminals are and there is not much clearance so it shorts and causes the radio to get very hot, eventually killing the radio.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”