1960's 70's and 80's control head ID

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fineshot1

1960's 70's and 80's control head ID

Post by fineshot1 »

Anyone know of a website that i can find a variety of pics of old control heads of not only
moto but also ge/rca from that era. I recently saw on a tv episode a ch i can not ever
remember seeing and its driving me crazy. I notice these things that to most just seem
like the back ground. I have been all over the internet on just about every moto and ge
history website that can be found via google and still can not find said ch. I did not see
any ID info but would remember it if i can finally find it somewhere.
fineshot1
NJ USA
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Re: 1960's 70's and 80's control head ID

Post by KitN1MCC »

There is the moto selfie group on FB also the hams who use moto group
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Take a look here. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and there is a section on old Motorola mobiles and their respective control heads, and there is also several sections on California HP radio systems.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/mojoindex.html
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Andy Corbin wrote:Take a look here. Scroll down to the very bottom of the page and there is a section on old Motorola mobiles and their respective control heads, and there is also several sections on California HP radio systems.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/rbtip/mojoindex.html
Thanks Andy but I have been their and what I seek is not at that web location.
fineshot1
NJ USA
tgo

Post by tgo »

Radios used during that time would be Motorola, GE, RCA, and Aerotron. Each manufacturer offered various controls to accommodate features such as multi-channel, multi-PL, multi-single tone, DTMF, and scan. That's the short version.
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

Did it look like this?

http://shop.mechemelectronics.com/produ ... ductId=247

Micor systems 90
abbylind

Post by abbylind »

fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

abbylind wrote:Did it look like this?

http://shop.mechemelectronics.com/produ ... ductId=247

Micor systems 90
No - not at all. The one i saw was very much smaller than that
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

abbylind wrote:Heres some GE RCA Aero stuff

http://shop.mechemelectronics.com/categ ... egoryId=31
Thanks but i have been all threw them and none of them were even close.
fineshot1
NJ USA
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

If anyone has access to hulu perhaps they can take a jpeg pic with a camera or cell phone camera.
The original Hawaii 5-O Episode 122 "Draw me a killer" (i am hoping i have this correct)
In the last 30 minutes there were two extremely short glimpse scenes that
focused on the control head during received transmissions via ME-TV (WJLP)
fineshot1
NJ USA
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Is this the control head you are speaking of?
http://s918.photobucket.com/user/1hogri ... 3.jpg.html
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Yes - Andy - thanks i think so. I only had two very brief glimpses and since i had no idea these images were coming i was caught by surprise when they appeared.
fineshot1
NJ USA
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

That looks very RCA-ish.
Jake
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

It is a screenshot from the episode you mentioned, towards the end and it was very quick so I had to do a freeze frame for the capture. I don't see any markings on it. It sort of reminded me of one of the old "Link" control heads but they date back to the 40's & 50's. Also reminded me a bit of the Motorola "T" model control head, but again that was way too old for when this show was on. NSPD mentioned RCA and I can possibly see that. Looking at the mike, it certainly wasn't Mother "M" from that era.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Dumont
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

jackhackett wrote:Dumont
I’ve never even heard of Dumont but a quick image search yielded this:

http://www.dcaptain.com/radios.htm

Think we have a winner!
Jake
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Andy Corbin wrote:It is a screenshot from the episode you mentioned, towards the end and it was very quick so I had to do a freeze frame for the capture. I don't see any markings on it. It sort of reminded me of one of the old "Link" control heads but they date back to the 40's & 50's. Also reminded me a bit of the Motorola "T" model control head, but again that was way too old for when this show was on. NSPD mentioned RCA and I can possibly see that. Looking at the mike, it certainly wasn't Mother "M" from that era.
Andy - there was a second scene image from right in front of the control head that would yield a better image
rather than the side of it.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

NSPD wrote: I’ve never even heard of Dumont but a quick image search yielded this:

http://www.dcaptain.com/radios.htm
Okay, now what's different about the mic in that picture?
abbylind

Post by abbylind »

I think thats an RCA mike from the 60s. 1960s and 70s RCA and Dumont radios look very similar. A friend had an old Dumont VHF portable it was a clone to the RCA. I had a RCA TAC 100 CVC the mike looked like the one in the pic
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

I knew Dumont made radio base station equipment but was not aware of them making
mobile radio gear which is why i was so perplexed as to the make of the ch.
Thanks folks to all that have and others that will offer more help/info.
fineshot1
NJ USA
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

fineshot1 wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote:It is a screenshot from the episode you mentioned, towards the end and it was very quick so I had to do a freeze frame for the capture. I don't see any markings on it. It sort of reminded me of one of the old "Link" control heads but they date back to the 40's & 50's. Also reminded me a bit of the Motorola "T" model control head, but again that was way too old for when this show was on. NSPD mentioned RCA and I can possibly see that. Looking at the mike, it certainly wasn't Mother "M" from that era.
Andy - there was a second scene image from right in front of the control head that would yield a better image
rather than the side of it.
This image while still at an angle was shown a few minutes after the first one I uploaded. This one does not have the mike in it.
http://s918.photobucket.com/user/1hogri ... g.jpg.html
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

That DuMont head is featured in a number of episodes. Usually with a Motorola Twin-V 1957 era mike attached to it. Some pretty shabby work by the prop department. Other episodes feature Wo Fat talking on an MJ IMTS car phone head, and McGarrett using a Motorola PT-300. The "walkie talkie" Chin Ho uses in the opening credits scenes is a Sears 100 mw CB item circa 1967.

By way of background, when Fred LInk departed Link Radio, it was a short period of time before the company fell on hard times and folded. The name was picked up by assorted owners who tried to support the original Link gear, and by the late 1950's Link equipment was re-badged Gonset gear and rather obscure as they had little to no advertising and no service organization. The name Link finally expired sometime in the 1960's and at (I think a Long Island location.

Fred Link went with Allen DuMont after leaving his own company, circa 1955, and I have always suspected he talked DuMont into creating a line of mobile radios. The mobiles that went with this series control head are nearly identical to the final one piece Link radios of 1950-51. The last of them had T-power supplies. Fairchild bought DuMont around 1961 and Fred Link then went to RCA as a consultant. DuMont is more famous for their line of TV sets. DuMont developed the Trinitron color TV picture tube for Sony and also made a line of oscilloscopes.

The DuMont name in mobile radio continued through the 1960's, at the end as re-labeled hand held radios actually made by iTek and also sold as Repco, Comco, Aerotron, Bell & Howell, Federal Signal, RCA and probably some others.

DuMont gear was more or less OK and unremarkable. I still have a couple of low band T-power DuMont mobiles from Pennsylvania Power Co. that were on 37 MHz and now are on 6 Meters. They were unique in that by changing a bunch of coil taps you could make them go anywhere from 29-53 MHz. The Hawaii 5-0 head is from the vibrator powered mid 1950's DuMont mobile. The T-power ones are black wrinkle with shiny aluminum front escutcheon and smaller black knobs.

Historical trivia...
fineshot1

Post by fineshot1 »

Thanks for the trivia Geoffrey. In one episode i ID'ed a GE Portamobile II being used by Chin Ho. The unique hand mic gave it a way.
fineshot1
NJ USA
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

For those who didn't notice what was funny about the mic in the Dumont radio picture.. someone put the hangup button on the front.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

jackhackett wrote:For those who didn't notice what was funny about the mic in the Dumont radio picture.. someone put the hangup button on the front.
Didn't pay any attention to that but looking again, I notice the mike hangup clip is attached to the bottom of the control head.
impalass427

Post by impalass427 »

That front hang-up button is correct for the chrome mic. I have a Polytronics CB here with that same mic. I believe it's made by Shure.
WB6NVH

Post by WB6NVH »

The shiny mic that came with the DuMonts did have the hang-up button on the front, as did the Collins mobile mic for the KWM-2. Mine say they were made by Turner. I always thought that was weird. I think they are either nickle or chrome plated.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

I remember them being on the old PolyCom 4 channel CB's back in the 60's. As I recall, they had a carbon mike element and really crappy audio but the radio had a receiver that was hot as a firecracker.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”