Side by side - XTS3000 vs. AS3

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Put one of those tiny NiMH batteries on the AS3 and its shrinks a whole lot :)
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

This is the exact reason I switched from an STX821 to an MTX8000 back in my early trunked days (now an XTS3000) because I can't stand to use a brick or let along try to carry it around. I didn't happen to see any belt clips available for that Saber radio either. For me, even that helps out.

Some things are good to be big, but not too big. We've gone a long way along the lines of technology. We made brick cell phones into an object small enough to conceal anywhere, yet still work. We've gone from giant limited channel HT200 radios to giant Astro Sabers??? I guess that's why it has been discontinued over the XTS line?

-Josh
apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

Belt clips are available for the ASIII. The reason I prefer the saber style radio that the battery is still attached on the bottom via metal plate not plastic tabs and the fact that it has a functional RF output via the speaker mic connector.

XTS uses that ugly kluged RF adapter if you want to use a PS mic or the converta-com. In my opinion that's a step backwards unless motorola is moving away from the public safety type mic
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
jcobb

Post by jcobb »

Man, I'd move all my handheld comms to the Saber if the battery was on the back. It's just too dam tall with a good battery on it.

Jack

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

We use shorter batteries at the pd, and our sabers are about the same height as the XTS, so its really a non-issue.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
HOWARD

Post by HOWARD »

I own both an XTS and an AS-3 and side by side in poor areas the AS3 works and the XTS just give the out of range signal. As for size, do want one too thick or too tall? I prefer the AS3 with the short battery, I can throw it in back pocket and prefer the way it feels in my hand; it's just to bad it's not back-lit the way the XTS is.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

The XTS 3500 and XTS5000 both have better receive than the AS3.

Check out the published specs. (and yes, I have tested these).

I'd check your front end alignment if it is a UHF radio. Also make sure you are testing in band since the AS3 may have a wider front end than the XTS.

George
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

r0F, I don't care what they say about you---you're a GREAT photographer!

Thanks for sharing the pics!

Larry

P.S. I noticed you are running V 5.0 firmware on your Kodak DC210. I believe they now have V 6.0, and it should be available for download on Eastman Kodak's site. It supports PIM, which is way KEWL if you have a PIM enabled printer. (If you don't have or use PIM, then I don't think there is any reason to upgrade to v 6.0).
HOWARD

XTS 3000 XTS 3500 XTS 5000 AND ASTRO SABER

Post by HOWARD »

The XTS 3500 and XTS5000 both have better receive than the AS3.

Check out the published specs. (and yes, I have tested these).

I'd check your front end alignment if it is a UHF radio. Also make sure you are testing in band since the AS3 may have a wider front end than the XTS.

George, you're correct except the XTS3500 and 5000 are entirely different radios than the XTS 3000 and the AS3 I have consistently outperforms all of the 12 XTS-3000 we own. I have used an XTS3500 at work and yes it does perfrom better than the 3000 in poor area such as in an aircraft hangar or a basement on Fireground (analog simplex). But the XTS3500 doesn't do trunking. I have yet to see or use an XTS 5000 UHF. They are UHF radios and they are aligned.
Howard

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”