Motorola Connector

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

/\/\otoguy

Post by /\/\otoguy »

I was wondering if anyone knew of an antenna connector that would switch my Motorola UHF HT750's antenna connector (I believe it's called SMA) to the standard connector used with cable television and outdoor antennas.
Thanks!

//otoguy
Will

Post by Will »

Your HT750 takes the treaded antenna, same as the HT600/P200, GP300/P110/GP350, and ect;, and on VHF and UHF uses the GP300 adaptor to BNC connector for external antenna. Moto part number is HLN9756A
cost about 16 dollars. NOT available except from Motorola that I know of.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

//otoguy: The TV connector is called an "F" connector. A company named Pasternak can be found on the web. They make adapters for every connector ever made, or almost every connector ever made. I'm curious as to why you'd want to go from an SMA to an F connector. Why aren't you going from the SMA to a BNC female or SO239? Be careful that you order the correct SMA; Motorola's arrangement is different from the SMA's on some other mfrs. radios in that M puts the male on the radio and the female on the antenna.

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
/\/\otoguy

Post by /\/\otoguy »

Thank you Will and Tom.

Tom,
I cannot find much information on Pasternak on the web. Any links or help would be appreciated. I want to use an SMA to an F type connector because I want to use my outdoor (UHF) antenna for my TV with my radios. Do you happen to know what the correct SMA for my radio is (HT750)?
Thanks!!

//otoguy
/\/\otoguy

Post by /\/\otoguy »

I have found (on //'s website thanks to Will) the HLN9756A part to convert my antenna connector to BNC. Now I need to know if that connector is BNC male to BNC male or if it is BNC male to BNC female. From there I can get a BNC Female/Male to F type connector.
Thanks for the help.

//otoguy
Chris

Post by Chris »

The Waris series radios do NOT use an SMA connector, they use a solid threaded connector. While the SMA will fit, you will not have any radiated power and run the risk of an RF short.

A note when using the SMA - BNC adapter, it may be necessary to file down the SMA female threads on the adapter since the pin is so deeply recessed on the radio and there is a gap on the adapter. The adapter Motorola sells is made by Amphenol and can be filed easily for a good connection.
N4UMJ

Post by N4UMJ »

Here's the Pasternack link:

http://www.pasternack.com/main.htm

I have never ordered anything from Pasternack but I receive their little catalog faithfully every year. Catalog is full of connectors I never knew existed and his website is easy to use as well.

I tried quickly to bring up the adapter you referred to (SMA Female to F Female) but did not have any luck. You may want to look around again.

Radio Shack also is out of stock on this particular adapter.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... 910%2D0621

On a little sidenote since we are talking about connectors....I picked up some cheap connectors at a Hamfest and got around to making up some adapters this week. These particular adapters were of the "FME" type. Can't say I have ever seen any equipment with these on it that I know of.

Any comments on this oddball FME and their usage ?

Eddie
N4UMJ
Chris

Post by Chris »

Also keep in mind when you start stacking adapters, you increase losses and reflected power which can easily make a 4 watt HT effectively put out milliwatts. I usually just buy high quality connectors (Cambridge connectors or Amphenol)and make my own adapter cables using short lengths of good, shielded 50 Ohm cable, and don't crimp, solder the connections.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Wow, the Pasternack prices are too high. 3.95 for a no-name Mini-UHF male crimp? Check out http://www.mouser.com

The have nice prices, no minimum order and carry name brand connectors.
/\/\otoguy

Post by /\/\otoguy »

Thanks everyone. Is the waris line of radio's connector just called threaded or is there a name for it? I seem now to be persuaded not to do my original plan. My plan was to get all of these adapters and then hook my radio up to one of those adapters that uses your homes electrical wiring as an antenna. I wasn't sure how well it would work, but now I don't think I am going to try it. I am a little disappointed with the range of these radios and am trying to be creative. Does anyone know of a good solution so I can get a better range?
Thanks everyone!!

//otoguy
Dave

Post by Dave »

Cable for tv is 75 ohm. Your "setup" may work some what while receiving but I wouldn't transmit using your tv cable/antenna.

You probably won't find a 50ohm to 75ohm connector (ie. sma to f connector adaptor)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave on 2001-12-18 11:03 ]</font>
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Any comments on this oddball FME and their usage ?
I've seen FME connectors used by Nokia for some of their PCS products. The 51/6100 series car kit has an FME connector on the external antenna line. Larsen also makes antenna cables with FME for PCS interface.

And Motoguy, unless you want to fry your transmitter, I wouldn't connect your radio to anything other than a 50ohm UHF antenna. If you need range, do it the right way and buy a UHF base antenna, use Belden 9913 or LMR400 coax, and borrow an SWR meter.
/\/\otoguy

Post by /\/\otoguy »

Thank you for everyone's help. Anyone know of a good base (or mobile like N4UMJ was saying) UHF antenna that would work well with these radios? I will mainly be transmitting radio to radio, though I may be transmitting radio to repeater in the future.
Thanks.

//otoguy
N4UMJ

Post by N4UMJ »

Thanks Victor X-ray on the FME connector info. and Congratulations on your first post here on BatLabs!

As for what //otoguy is trying to accomplish.....

A Larsen UHF antenna or other on a magmount placed on a file cabinet or other piece of steel may just do the trick. UHF usually penetrates well into buildings but the closer you are to a window the better off you will be, as well.

Also, I have seen the magmount antennas inverted and placed upon the suspended drop ceiling cross braces too.

I know these are not ideal setups but they are a midway compromise between what you were originally suggesting (House wiring as an antenna) and the full blown 9913 coax and the proper outside base antenna.

Of course if you are trying to only transmit/receive in one direction (say to a repeater or city a distance away) a small UHF beam antenna may be just what you need. Expermentation with the radio connected and moving the beam antenna toward the general direction of the intended signal will get you homed in. You might could get by mounting this inside your building , but for the optimum setup, a clear somewhat high placement outside (roofline)of this beam will generally yield the better results.

I use a wideband discone antenna placed in my attic space with a good quality 9913 coax here at home [antenna restrictions :sad: ] for general listening & Amateur Radio Usage and it seems to work well.

Eddie
N4UMJ

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”