Convert W9 to W3

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

penstar

Post by penstar »

What will it take, besides the obvious cable and head change, to convert a W9 VHF to W3?
1 Adam 12
sk

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

I believe, but am not positive that since the Hand Held controller uses the least functions that you may not have to upgrade or in this case degrade the MLM to get it to work. Would you just rather trade or sell it for a W3 unit. What VHF range and power do you require.
penstar

Post by penstar »

Just wondering if I could feed a W3 codeplug (same power and bandsplit) into my W9 using lab, would that make it a W3 or would the change also require a firmware change in the radio?

I'd be more interested in buying than trading. Looking for a VHF W3 Astro Spectra; hi or low bandsplit is ok. Must have CAI.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi penstar,

I just sent you a private message.
Nick

Post by Nick »

On 2001-12-31 12:49, 1 Adam 12 wrote:
I believe, but am not positive that since the Hand Held controller uses the least functions that you may not have to upgrade or in this case degrade the MLM to get it to work. Would you just rather trade or sell it for a W3 unit. What VHF range and power do you require.
Not so.

The W4, W5 are actualy the leased optioned ASTRO Spectra's with only having a default option of 128ch's. The W3 has 255 and a display that replicates the ASTRO Saber III. Also with six (I think it's six) programmable buttons in the palm of your hand the W3's are great radio's.

If anyone has one to sell in UHF R2 split any power level I'll take it!
1 Adam 12
sk

Post by 1 Adam 12 »

Yup .. your right... I was thinking of the regular Spectra, not Astro. Checked and it won't work, sorry still catching up on lost sleep.
Nick

Post by Nick »

On 2002-01-02 15:42, 1 Adam 12 wrote:
Yup .. your right... I was thinking of the regular Spectra, not Astro. Checked and it won't work, sorry still catching up on lost sleep.
I know how you feel I've been trying to catch up on sleep also.

Happy New Year!

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”