firmware update issue

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jay
Batboard $upporter

firmware update issue

Post by Jay »

Here is my issue...

Factory cable, XPR6550, latest CPS, latest firmware file. New PC, with Win XP. Radio has R01.08.10 firmware in it now.

Radio will read and write just fine. Go to update firmware, and radio appears, so I hit the check box and choose the firmware version. Radio goes into Flashzap mode. CPS errors out and says Error #2898, unable to establish a connection with device.

I've tried multiple USB ports...It if course installed the flashzap driver for each port but still ends at the same place. Any help would be appreciated.

Jay
Forts

Re: firmware update issue

Post by Forts »

I saw a Motorola Field Service Bulletin detailing some USB connection issues in firmware 1.06 thru 1.08.20, which is supposed to be fixed in 1.08.30 (due early Feb). Not sure if this would be causing your issues or not, but they recommend using a Windows XP machine for programming the radios as the problem seems to be more prevalent in Win Vista/7 machines. I think the next thing I would try is another PC, which is a bit of a pain installing the CPS & firmware files on another PC.
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

Read that FSB, but doesn't look like it applies, as I am able to read and write OK. Tried a second radio and same results.

Jay
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

Ok, so here is how I solved this puzzle...Wanted to share in case someone else falls into the same issue. First, let me thank Vercomm for his notes on how to fix this. My new PC had Astro 25 CPS installed on it prior to TRBO CPS. It seems they use different flashzap drivers. To resolve, do the following:

1. Connect your radio to the PC, and manually put into flashzap (emergency and PTT).
2. Go to device manager and uninstall the device.
3. Go to TRBO CPS, and do the upgrade radio procedure. It will tell you that new hardware is found, etc.
4. Tell it NO - you can't connect to Windows Update to search for the software. Select No, not at this time, then install from a specific location. Choose don't search, have disk.
5. Browse to the following path - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motorola\MOTOTRBO Driver\fudally.inf
6. Let it complete installation, and do your upgrade.

Anyway, hope this helps someone. Now it should be interesting the next time I go to do a flash upgrade on an Astro 25 radio! 8)

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”