mobile as a repeater

Moderator: Queue Moderator

johnny1225

mobile as a repeater

Post by johnny1225 »

i am working with a huge university that has a mototrbo XPR8300 in analoge mode. At the other campus approx 6 km away they can talk to this campus through two cm200's with a rick and a yagi antenna pointing to the main campus. The bottom radio radio is labeled repeater and the top radio is labeled simplex. My question is once they go digital can i use to Mototrbo radio in digital mode and connect it to the rick like they presently due know. I am not the one that set this up so i am kind of in the dark. The main campus that the repeater is hooked up to has a C2 Antenna but the elements are pointed the wrong way. I was wondering if just turning the elements to point to the other campus and going digital if this would work without using what they have know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

John
Bill_G

Re: mobile as a repeater

Post by Bill_G »

Nah. Back to back digital mobiles will be ugly, and probably fail. Talk them into site connect or any of the other Trbo multi-site options available. We have a state university hospital here with campuses all over. They connect their Trbo radio system over their enterprise, and love it.
JRayfield

Post by JRayfield »

It can be done and will work, but every time you convert from digital to analog or vice versa, there's a loss of 'fidelity'. So, going from digital, to analog (the accessory connector of the first radio), connected to analog (the accessory connector of the second radio), and back to digital, you're going to have audio that isn't nearly as good as if you stay digital (with IP Site Connect, for example).

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma
Rayfield Communications

johnny1225 wrote:i am working with a huge university that has a mototrbo XPR8300 in analoge mode. At the other campus approx 6 km away they can talk to this campus through two cm200's with a rick and a yagi antenna pointing to the main campus. The bottom radio radio is labeled repeater and the top radio is labeled simplex. My question is once they go digital can i use to Mototrbo radio in digital mode and connect it to the rick like they presently due know. I am not the one that set this up so i am kind of in the dark. The main campus that the repeater is hooked up to has a C2 Antenna but the elements are pointed the wrong way. I was wondering if just turning the elements to point to the other campus and going digital if this would work without using what they have know. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

John
Rayfield Communications
Springfield, MO
www.rayfield.net
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

I ran into similar situation for a school district here.Used a Triton Comm Tac interface box to connect a TRBO digital UHF to a CM300 analog with termination cables at the site with all the CM300/CM200 on UHF.Technically creating a crossband link, both systems were UHF but had different inputs and output frequencies.
Have also use the CommTac to link distant TRBO sites.
nothing
johnny1225

Post by johnny1225 »

I never thought of that but i have a Turbo X at my office. So now they are fully digital c/w capacity plus so if i use a trbo mobile and a cm300 c/w my turbo X that would work? How does the programming look like????

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”