Advice on "Ear Microphone System"/Voiceducer

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rfburns2
New User

Advice on "Ear Microphone System"/Voiceducer

Post by rfburns2 »

Has anyone here used the EMS (Ear Microphone System)? I got a BDN6708 Voiceducer along with a BDN6677 Ear/Microphone from our favorite online flea market. When I use them with the radio, it works....sort of. I can hear through the earpiece OK, but when I transmit, there are two problems: first, my voice being transmitted is very soft. It's understandable, but there's definitely something wrong with it. Secondly, when I press the button on the Voiceducer to transmit, the audible acknowledgement tone is very soft in my earpiece. In a noisy environment, I don't believe I would be able to hear the "bonk" tone if I tried to transmit and the channel were busy.

I thought I probably just got a bad Voiceducer. With the price I paid, it was worth the risk. So, I got another one. Exact same problem.

So, is this just how the Voiceducer/EMS operates? Have others used this equipment and found the voice quality acceptable?

Also, while trying to research this, I came across the CommPort system (NTN1736, as an example). From the description, it sounds like it's the same thing as the EMS. Does anyone know what the difference is, and if it would be worth it trying to find a CommPort instead? I can only find people that have heard of these systems, but nobody that has actually used one.

Thanks!
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Re: Advice on "Ear Microphone System"/Voiceducer

Post by RadioSouth »

I've fiddled a bit with the VoiceDucers (made by Temco for Motorola) and used them a bit with GP300,SP50 and had another model for Jedi's.
I recall there were a couple of adjustments under the hood, one was for audio, the other I don't recall but I did have the VOX versions so it may of had something to do with the VOX feature. I'm out of town for the next few weeks but I do believe I have a manual at home if you're not in a rush. They worked well for me and was surprised at the decent TX audio quality even though it was coming via the ear plug.
tvsjr

Re: Advice on "Ear Microphone System"/Voiceducer

Post by tvsjr »

I've done the same thing, with the same results... no amount of adjustment could ever make them work right. I've had much better results with the CommPort and APX Bluetooth ear mic systems.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”