Headlight problem on 2005 Crown Vic

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

arlojanis

Headlight problem on 2005 Crown Vic

Post by arlojanis »

I have a 2005 Crown Vic with automatic headlights. No wig-wags or other headlight mods. The tail lights came on, but the headlights did not come on. Low beams and high beams both are out on auto and manual. The high beams will come on if I hold the signal lever full up like to flash the lights. What could cause this problem? Where is the control module located?
"The world runs on radio."
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Re: Headlight problem on 2005 Crown Vic

Post by Wowbagger »

The relays in the the headlight control module have failed - at least, that is what happened to my '04 Grand Marquis with the same symptoms.

You can pull the HCM - it's under the dash, on the driver's side, next to the hump. Mouser Electronics has the relays in stock. I don't recall what the part number was, but you can pull the module, check the part #, look it up on Mouser, and order them. Unsolder the old relays, pop the new ones in. and you should be golden.

You can try thumping the HCM and see if that gets you working for now.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I have a couple of spare repaired LCM's (lighting control modules) with updated headlight relays, PM me if you need one, FWIW, a module from 03-05 Gran Marquis and Vics are the same.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i'd look more towards the whole multiswitch in the column, all the lights you speak of go thru it
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
ka8ypy

Post by ka8ypy »

HLA wrote:i'd look more towards the whole multiswitch in the column, all the lights you speak of go thru it
It's a known issue with the LCM (Light Control Module), over heats and the relays fail. Ford's answer on CVPIs has been to replace the entire LCM, and they state it's a known problem when they advise you to swap it.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”