cannot program, usb, rib, win 7

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vaeevictiss
New User

cannot program, usb, rib, win 7

Post by vaeevictiss »

So i am trying to set up all my software on my personal laptop with Windows 7.

I am using the IOGear serial to USB adapter. Any radio that requires the rib i cannot program as the adapter doesnt seem to see it. When connected, and i try to read a radio, i instantly get "communication with radio failed". Like i said it is instant, not like other errors where it tries to read then fails.

Due to this i am unable to program XTS3000s, astro spectras (high and low power), and MCS radios.

Now, when i use a cable that plugs directly into the adapter it works fine. I have successfully read and wrote to XTS5000s, XTL5000s, Quantars, HT1250s. I can also read and write to kenwood analog and digital radios with their cables.

I have usb cables for the XTL5000, XTL5000 consolette, and XTS5000 and those work flawlessly as well.

So it seems the problem is just that the adapter is somehow not seeing/recognizing/liking the RIB box. Other than that, everything works great with windows 7.

Is there any way around this?
vaeevictiss
New User

Re: cannot program, usb, rib, win 7

Post by vaeevictiss »

i will add that on my work computer with XP it works fine with everything. Obviously its a win 7 problem, but just seems like it SHOULD be a simple fix if it would just see the rib.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

you need to get rid of that usb adaptor and get a computer that has a real serial port. the 5000's have cps wrote to support usb, the other radios do not, you need to stick to the technology of the time for the radio. Do that and all of your problems will go away. the 3000's, astro's, and mcs's won't work support working on 7. the problem is not the rib, it's your os and usb adaptor
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
vaeevictiss
New User

Post by vaeevictiss »

well we tend not to get antiquated laptops anymore at our work. We have some toughbooks that still have a serial port but no one likes using them as we travel a lot and they are quite cumbersome to travel with.
HLA

Post by HLA »

then your other option is to pay a shop that does keep the correct computers around.
HLA
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
vaeevictiss
New User

Post by vaeevictiss »

It would just be nice if Motorola would just update software and cables. Quite frankly I can't stand Motorola other than their quantars. Being on a govt contract tho we can't exactly pick what we we want. We have slowly been transitioning to kenwood for our overseas projects with much greater success. I guess I will just stick to the adaptor and an xp netbook. Was just trying to find a way to carry one less computer around.
HLA

Post by HLA »

You're in the wrong place if you can't stand Motorola. Have a nice day
HLA
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

64 bit by chance or 32 bit win 7?
vaeevictiss
New User

Post by vaeevictiss »

64 bit
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

Windows 7, 64-bit, FTDI USB to serial adapter, Radiostew (Sandy Ganz) RIB works fine on an MCS2000. The USB to Serial adapter won't "see" the RIB in the sense that the computer sees the USB to Serial adapter. You may simply have a com port issue that is causing the problem that you are experiencing. There is a free com test program that you can download from here that might help:

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/download/CommTestSetup.exe
-John
vaeevictiss
New User

Post by vaeevictiss »

that chip seems to have some great reviews, thanks for the info! im gonna order one up
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

I use the US232R-10 Premium USB-Serial Converter. You can buy it directly from FTDI through their online store. I bought mine from Mouser but I just checked their site and couldn't find the product listed any longer.
-John
JPOPatents

Post by JPOPatents »

JPOPatents wrote:I use the US232R-10 Premium USB-Serial Converter. You can buy it directly from FTDI through their online store. I bought mine from Mouser but I just checked their site and couldn't find the product listed any longer.
Actually, I just found it at Mouser:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/FTD ... GqgLnys%3d
-John
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

vaeevictiss wrote:It would just be nice if Motorola would just update software and cables. Quite frankly I can't stand Motorola other than their quantars. Being on a govt contract tho we can't exactly pick what we we want. We have slowly been transitioning to kenwood for our overseas projects with much greater success. I guess I will just stick to the adaptor and an xp netbook. Was just trying to find a way to carry one less computer around.
So the only thing you like from Moto... is a Quantar? One of the biggest pain-in-the-ass repeaters ever made (yes, they're very capable, but holy crap)?
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

So the only thing you like from Moto... is a Quantar? One of the biggest pain-in-the-ass repeaters ever made (yes, they're very capable, but holy crap)?

+1 here.

I think quickly approaching #2 on that list is the MTR3K especially if you have to interface it to something external.

Dave
vaeevictiss
New User

Post by vaeevictiss »

tvsjr wrote:
vaeevictiss wrote:It would just be nice if Motorola would just update software and cables. Quite frankly I can't stand Motorola other than their quantars. Being on a govt contract tho we can't exactly pick what we we want. We have slowly been transitioning to kenwood for our overseas projects with much greater success. I guess I will just stick to the adaptor and an xp netbook. Was just trying to find a way to carry one less computer around.
Well the new GTR 8000s arent much better :/

and its more that i dont have a choice. Its what we have to work with out of our office. Moto seems to have a 1/10 failure rate and this is based over several hundred thousand pieces of equipment so that is a pretty good baseline.

Return to “Radio Programming”