What Antenna Connector Is On Most Motorola Mobile Radios?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

I haven't been as active in the radio hobby as I have been in the past, so this might seem like sort of an elementary question, but please forgive me. What antenna connectors are most common on Motorola mobile transceivers these days?
When I first got into amateur radio, most VHF/UHF mobiles had a simple SO239 on the back. A little bit ago I looked online at an Icom 1.2 gHz radio and it had an N connector on the rear. I could have sworn that the last time I looked on the rear of a Motorola mobile it was sporting a mini UHF antenna connector. Anyway, does that mean that all current production Motorola mobile transceivers for VHF/UHF/800 are now mini UHF or isn't it quite that simple?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: What Antenna Connector Is On Most Motorola Mobile Radios

Post by escomm »

In North/South America, Mini UHF for RF. Mini-SMA for GPS.
Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Thank you so much for the reply. Just out of curiosity, is that also the most common connector for competitiors in North and South America as well then? Say an EFJohnson 5300 Series, an Icom IC-F9511, or perhaps a Vertex Standard?
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Most of the Euro Moto stuff is BNC... I really wish they'd just go BNC everywhere and be done with it. Much better connectors.

I believe the EFJ 5300 uses an N.
Vertex is typically an SO239 on a pigtail... not sure about their P25 gear.
Icom is an SO239
KG4INW
What radios do you own?: Not enough apparently!

Post by KG4INW »

Kenwood by far uses SO239s. Their 900 stuff (at least) uses N connectors though.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”