updating some equipt.... [Firmware Updates]

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

vbcr1700
New User

updating some equipt.... [Firmware Updates]

Post by vbcr1700 »

Ok guys n gals go easy on the new guy here..... I think updating all our
radios is in order. Some of these haven't been touched for years and I'm
sure, some where, the is updates to make these run/operate more ....
efficiently.

We have P1225's and HT1250's, and Vertex 354's. I have ZERO
clue as to what the heck I'm doing. Any suggestions as to where or whom
might be able to do these?

This is an all volunteer squad with very limited
resources so this will most likely come out of my pocket. Ver.NO: on the
1250's is R05.15.00 and the P1225's, and Vertex 354's I'll have to find.

Thank you very much for your time. Chief Bobby Whitmore Van Buren Co.
Rescue Unit Spencer, Tennessee
d119

Re: updating some equipt.... [Firmware Updates]

Post by d119 »

Chief,

There are no firmware updates for the P1225 radio. Those are a closed-architecture controller that don't support being updated, so those are out the window.

The HT1250 and possibly the Vertex portables (Not an expert on those) that you have should be able to support firmware updates.

Perhaps another member on the board here can chime in with better information?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

I think the thing you really want is a PM (preventative maintenance) check.Typically, this would involve having a qualified service technician come to site, where you would have gathered all your portables together. The tech should bring a service monitor and appropriate antenna adapters to test the applicable TX/RX functions such as power, deviation, frequency error, sensitivity, etc. They should also bring a laptop with applicable programming cables and software in order to align the radios. You may be challenged to find a shop in your area that can properly service both Motorola and Vertex radios, but maybe not.

Since I presume your radios work in wet conditions, you'd want to stipulate as part of the PM each portable should at the very least have the front housing removed for a physical inspection of the board(s) inside for liquid damage. Even better to have them fully disassembled to ensure both sides of any boards have been checked, and dirty ground contact points cleaned, etc.

Typically, many minor issues can be fixed onsite, but be prepared to have at least a few radios determined to need further work and go back to the shop with the tech.

If you have any programming discrepancies between your various radio models, the PM check would be the ideal time to have this rectified as well.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

5.15 isn't that old and if they are all that firmware or bought at the same time you'll probablly be ok there. How many 1250's do you have, it just might not be worh the the cost to update 50 radios at $30 or $40 each when it won't gain you anything. But on the other hand if you're gonna get them all aligned to work good with narrow band and have the programming altered then you might get a decent price to just do it all at once and have all the radios programmed identical minus the identifier. What are they, vhf, uhf, simplex, repeater, trunked?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
vbcr1700
New User

Post by vbcr1700 »

They are VHF the 1250's I have 6.. Thanks everyone for the help! Just saved me a TONNNN of cash with your suggestions. Commissioners wanted to buy all new stuff. This board was just the ticket to make my argument NOT to go buy all new, just align what we already have which works just fine. :) Thanks everyone for your help! I can now spend this $$ somewhere else in the dept.! Thanks again!!
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Excellent, we are glad to have helped.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”