XTS Series Outlook

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim1348

XTS Series Outlook

Post by Jim1348 »

we have some XTS2500 units at my work. Does anybody happen to know what the future is for them? Will they still be available for a couple of more years or is it all just speculation at this point? Also, how long does Motorola typically support products out of production? Do they have a "rule of thumb" like they support 5 years after End Of Life? I now that these are probably pretty novice questions, but please excuse me because I have not had to look at this from this standpoint until now.

Also, for those of us currently with XTS2500s, what should we consider as similar viable replacements? Sure, I would love to have work spring for a pallet of APX7000s, but that isn't happening any time soon, trust me!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: XTS Series Outlook

Post by escomm »

You can bank on Astro25 being canceled next year.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

5-year support after cancellation is typical
d119

Post by d119 »

Jim1348 wrote:Also, for those of us currently with XTS2500s, what should we consider as similar viable replacements? Sure, I would love to have work spring for a pallet of APX7000s, but that isn't happening any time soon, trust me!
Something along the lines of the APX 4000 would be the replacement for the XTS 2500 at this point. Expect more APX series stuff to be released down the line as previous generation products are canceled.

It somewhat works like this at this point:

XTS 5000 = APX 6000
XTS 2500/1500 = APX 4000

As for banking on XTS cancellation next year, that is sound advice. And I'll add, "if not sooner".

Everything "High Tier" is moving to the APX series. Just like the HT/MT/MTS series that we all know and love did, the XTS series is coming to an end, and the APX series is just getting started. It's product evolution, like it or not.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

if you like the XTS2500/Astro 25 and have many in service, don't be "scared" to order more, as was mentioned, 5 year support clock starts ticking when the last one rolls off the line- which hasn't happened yet.

when it does, there will be no shortage of parts and depot support for a while. Not to mention, watch the market get flooded with just OOW units by those agencies well off enough to replace their radios every three years- meaning lots of surplus units for great prices.

Look around and see how many Jedi radios and parts are still widely available and they have been off "life support" for a few years now.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Brand
New User

Post by Brand »

Presently Motorola has a trade/upgrade program for xts .Where by you can receive APX .not sure of the details .There may be a cost involed .
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Brand wrote:Presently Motorola has a trade/upgrade program for xts .Where by you can receive APX .not sure of the details .There may be a cost involed .
Of course there is. The only people trading in Astro25 gear and getting APXes for free are the ones that were lied to by Motorola when they were told Astro25 would support Phase 2. Lots of agencies bought XTS5000s because the sales reps said they'd do Phase 2.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Well it came sooner than expected. I was just forwarded the intent to cancel notice for the XTS5000 & XTL5000. Last order entry date is 10/31 and last scheduled ship date is 11/30. Support will end on 12/31/2018.

The notice specifically indicates there are no cancellation dates yet set for the XTS2500/XTL2500.
Jim1348

XTS Series Outlook

Post by Jim1348 »

Thank you for the update on that. What is the likely effect on the XTS5000s in the used market? Will the used prices drop much right away or will they still command a decent price for some time to come?
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Prices will stay the same for several years to come. Reason being, there isn't an affordable replacement out yet. The APX6000 and APX4000 are just entering service with many organizations, so you won't see many on the surplus market any time soon. Once departments start switching out Astro gear for Phase II stuff, you'll see more 5000s hitting the streets.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”