XTS Securenet modules

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mostar

XTS Securenet modules

Post by mostar »

Hello,

Does the XTS3000 have its own model-specific set of encryption modules, or does it use the same ones as another radio (perhaps the ASTRO Saber)?

If it uses unique modules, does anybody have part numbers (esp. for DES and DES-XL)?

Thanks!
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I beleive all the Astro products use the same type module. I have an Astro DES module around if you are interested. PM or e-mail me and I'll get you the part number. I don't have it here at work with me.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Batboard $upporter

Post by 515 »

From what I see in the service manuals from Motorola Online, it seems that the XTS3000, Astro Saber, and Astro Spectra each require different modules. The service manual for each radio lists several possible boards for each encryption protocol. But it seems many of these have been discontinued/replaced, at least according to the "Catalog Search" on MOL.

For the XTS3000, the following was listed:

NTN8253 - DES (replaced by NTN9121A)
NTN8254 - DES-XL (replaced by NTN9121A)
NTN8255 - DES-OFB (replaced by NTN9121A)
NTN8256 - DVI-XL
NTN8257 - DVP-XL
NTN8258 - DES-XL and DES-OFB (replaced by NTN9121A)
NTN8259 - DVP-XL and DES-OFB
NTN8326 - DVI-XL and DES-OFB
NTN8418 - DES and DES-OFB (replaced by NTN9121A)
NTN8328 - DVP
NTN8329 - DVI-XL and DVP (not found on MOL)
NTN8330 - DES-XL and DVP
NTN8331 - DVP-XL and DVP (not found in MOL)
NTN8705 - DVP and DES-OFB
NTN9121 - DES and DES-XL and DES-OFB
0105956V67 - All except DVP (discontinued)

Astro Saber module kits were listed as:

NTN7770 - DVP (discontinued)
NTN7771 - DES (replaced by NTN1712)
NTN7772 - DES-XL (replaced by NTN1712)
NTN7773 - DVI-XL (replaced by NTN1158)
NTN7774 - DVP-XL (discontinued)
NTN7329 - DVI-XL and DVP
NTN7332 - DES-XL and DVP (discontinued)
NTN7731 - DES-XL and DVP-XL (not found in MOL)
NTN7330 - DVP and DVP-XL (discontinued)
NTN7370 - DVP-XL and DVI-XL
NTN8967 - All except DVP (discontinued)

The following TAPANAs were also listed for most of the above Astro Saber kits:
NTN1146 - DVP
NTN1152 - DES (replaced by NTN1712)
NTN1153 - DES-XL (replaced by NTN1712)
NTN1158 - DVI-XL
NTN1147 - DVP-XL
NTN1367 - DVI-XL and DVP
NTN1368 - DES-XL and DVP (discontinued)
NTN1369 - DES-XL and DVP-XL
NTN1370 - DVP and DVP-XL
NTN1371 - DVP-XL and DVI-XL

Anyone know what the difference between the Astro Saber secure kits and TAPANAs are?

Also, is installing/replacing a module in an XTS3000 or Astro Saber pretty straightforward? Do you just install the new module, turn on "Secure Hardware Equipped" in the RSS/CPS, and go?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Reading the XTS 3000 Maintenance manual, the replacement of the secure module is major open heart surgery. There are 4 or so different shields that must be removed, including having their tabs bent/unbent, in sequenced order. I'm looking at having a number of my XTS radios upgraded from DES to AES, and I'm not looking forward to the service degradation in sensitivity, spurious broadband noise, etc. that is inevitable anytime you open up a watch like this.

Larry
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

The Astro Saber and Spectra's use the same ones. The XTS have their own line.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
mike m

Post by mike m »

No need to worry about degrading the radios performance when you take them apart and are changing secure boards, it is literally a snap to get them apart and back together.

I have never had any spurious issues yet out of a couple hundred XTS3000s in all models and bands that I have taken apart and transfered over to modified chassis. These along with 1 XTS5000 VHF radio that I have also taken apart and put back together all went and worked smoothly afterwards.

I know the VHf version of the XTS5000 isn't officially out yet but I did get my dirty little fingers on one engineering prototype and just couldn't resist opening it up and peeking around inside.

What can I say maybe I should have been an OBGYN instead of an engineer considering how much I like to open things up and peek around inside, and hey my mom always said that I should work with something that I like to work with and like being around and fooling around with and well it was the other thing or radios and darn it if I didn't go and walk into the wrong building the first day of college, the engineering one instead of the medical bldg.

Ok enough of that getting off of the subject crap I'm sorryfor the ranting but I've been working on and listening to DES securenet all day and my mind is wandering, the only important thing to remember when taking the XTS3000 apart is to wear safety goggles as sometimes (in fact many times) the little tabs/snaps will let go and fly around the room. The secure boards come out very easily with the main board when you take the radio apart, no screws at all and the entire process repeats itself just as easily when it comes time to put it all back together.

Believe me you'll appreciate the snaps in time as opposed to having a radio with screws holding the shields down as I still have several years of accumulated screws in my carpet from taking GE MPD and MPA HT shields apart.

And oh yeah of all theXTS3000 radios that I've taken apart to move to modified chassis they all go thru a couple G shake on an avionics shake table under full operation conditions and I've not had a single failure yet. Boy it's hard to type with my fingers crossed.

Good luck

Mike
Zap
Batboard $upporter

Post by Zap »

Why would these have been discontinued???
Sound pretty useful.

0105956V67 - All except DVP (discontinued)
NTN8967 - All except DVP (discontinued)

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”