SCOTT Air Pack TalkAround 900mhz

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sanocafire

SCOTT Air Pack TalkAround 900mhz

Post by sanocafire »

Hello All-
My fire department has purchased a bunch of SCOTT AirPack Talkaround radios. These low-wattage radios operate on simplex in the 915mhz range. Firefighters can communicate with each other (if they all have on masks), but the folks outside cant communicate.
We were wondering if there was a radio out there that would talk on that 915mhz. This way, folks outside the fire on the scene can communicate. Is there a radio similar to the HT750 that will talk on this frequency? We have the CPS to program on the HT style radios.

Any help would be appreciated!
Ali Abbassi

Re: SCOTT Air Pack TalkAround 900mhz

Post by Ali Abbassi »

Your best solution is to make an interoperability unit made of one 915 mhz radio and one HT750 , that way all the traffic on 915 will be transmitted to HT750s ,and vice versa .
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Boy, that thing looks a lot like a JEDI. Can't seem to find an FCC ID number on their website. Would love to know the type acceptance grant number. Anyhow, the Scott transmits on the toy ISM band. You will not find a commercial radio on those freqs, as they are not commercial frequencies. It's unfortunate more thought was not put into this radio purchase. Nice to know your guys can talk to each other inside. What happens when they need to talk to IC? They throw some smoke signals? Pun intended.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

Haven't messed around with those in a while but best I remember is that the low watt "talk-around" radio is built into the mask accessory. If you want to talk on your regular fireground radios then SCOTT makes interface cables for certain popular commercial radios. There's a way to switch between the two modes using the mask accessory. Could be wrong though; been a while....
tdats
What radios do you own?: Mostly Motorola

Post by tdats »

I have never used anything like that, but from what I am seeing reading about them, their radio is contained in the mask. The radio in the pictures is demonstrating that, with the accessory cable, you can hook a radio up to it. (Could be wrong though, the spec sheets are not all that clear)

I wounder if it is possible to get an old Nextel with direct talk to work with those. From what I understand, those used the 900MHz ISM band for off network direct talk. It's a long shot though. Motorola had a DTR series of radios at one point in the same band, but again, a long shot.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

sanocafire wrote:Hello All-
My fire department has purchased a bunch of SCOTT AirPack Talkaround radios. These low-wattage radios operate on simplex in the 915mhz range. Firefighters can communicate with each other (if they all have on masks), but the folks outside cant communicate.
We were wondering if there was a radio out there that would talk on that 915mhz. This way, folks outside the fire on the scene can communicate. Is there a radio similar to the HT750 that will talk on this frequency? We have the CPS to program on the HT style radios.

Any help would be appreciated!
Went straight to the website for the answer................

linky.......
https://www.scottsafety.com/en/us/Docum ... 08_800.pdf

Q. How many users can be networked?
A. An unlimited number of users with
facepiece radios can communicate as a
network. For the network to communi-
cate to a command center, one of the
firefighter’s facepiece radios must be hard-
wired to a portable radio. This will allow
for clear communications with the com-
mand center by switching the facepiece
radio to the direct channel. As with all
communications, radio courtesy and
training are a must
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”