Ford PI Utility steering wheel buttons and remote mic

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k5rpd

Ford PI Utility steering wheel buttons and remote mic

Post by k5rpd »

We are preparing for installation of the APX7500 with O9 head into the 2014 Ford PI Utility. We have ordered the PI Utility with the four buttons on the steering wheel that give grounded outputs at the equipment interface under the center console. My question- does anyone have experience with this type set-up? I'm trying to make sure I have the right equipment ordered to get everything working at install time. We are wanting to have a remote mic for the radio that is keyed up by one of the buttons of the steering wheel. Is the RMN5054B visor mic the only part that I will need (no ptt footswitch needed because of using the PTT switch on the steering wheel?)?
Anyone else using the four buttons on the steering wheel for other things that might interest me? I'm open to new ideas and suggestions!
BTW- there are eight of these on order- for fleet patrol use in a city of about 30k population- radios on the state-wide digital trunked P25 system.

Thanks,
JJ
RFguy

Re: Ford PI Utility steering wheel buttons and remote mic

Post by RFguy »

We have not had good success with visor mics on digital radios. If there is any background noise, or if the officer is not speaking directly into the mic, voice is hard to understand.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

Those buttons only work when the vehicle is turned on as well (unless they changed that from early 2013). I personally feel they are pretty useless. People will bump them when palming the steering wheel too.

So like if you hook them up to any lights....turn the ignition off and there go the lights...

Jason
Rwiller

Post by Rwiller »

One more issue you will have to overcome, the button are not momentary. You will need the factory to re-configure them.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”