XTS Voice Files

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

60EMT15

XTS Voice Files

Post by 60EMT15 »

Im having some issues compressing voice files on my XTS5000. Ive created wav files and am trying to compress them. I select the appropriate folders for input and output but i get an error every time. I do have the right flash in radio to do it. Could someone please help me out by? Thanks in advance.
NHfirefighter

Re: XTS Voice Files

Post by NHfirefighter »

A couple of things come to mind. Is the wav file saved as a 8.0 khz 16 bit mono file? If not it will not be able to compress. Also do you have the portable connected to the computer when doing the compression?
60EMT15

Post by 60EMT15 »

I do have the portable connected. Not sure if they are 8 or 16. How can I check?
NHfirefighter

Post by NHfirefighter »

With Windows XP the sound recorder tool would give you all the details of the file type and even let you re-save the file with what ever formatting you want. Unfortunately in Windows 7 the sound recorder doesn't have these features anymore. This means you need a third party software to view the details or what I do is I use AT&T Voice Labs (http://www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php) to create the various voice files (text to voice, you can pick the voice, it is a bit time consuming but guarantees consistency in all your voice files), save each file then use an online wav converter tool (like this one: http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav) to save your voice file at the 8.0 khz 16 bit mono file.

If you are only doing a few channels (say one zone) the online converter works just fine. If you are looking to do several zones worth of channels then you may want to consider a shareware download that will allow you to manage audio file compression and format.
Will

Post by Will »

I found this out recording the Jedi low battery alert tone for my phone. I used a online converter.
60EMT15

Post by 60EMT15 »

Thanks guys!! I finally got it working.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”