Lip mount antenna concerns

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Lip mount antenna concerns

Post by Pj »

Ok, I am starting my antenna install in my Suburban, and I have found out that the guy before me use to have all sorts or lights/radio's in the truck before. This is making my life easier as I can follow the path that was taken before with the previous install. How much more lucky could I have gotten?

Anyways, there was an antenna mounted right next to the AM/FM antenna. I am planning on installing my 100 watt x9000's into this truck. I am also going to attempt to bring the wattage down on the radios, but how much damage could be done to the AM/FM radio?

I will be installing VHF-LO, VHF-HI and UHF. What would be the best choice of band to install next to the FM antenna. You can't say across the hood, since I am putting one there too.

Thanks!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

well i vote the UHF . we usallly put the scanner ant next to the Am/fm
jim

Post by jim »

The highest frequency from the FM band.

Make sure you choose a good quality lowband antenna if you hood mount it- most of the cheaper ones won't tune well from the lack of a ground plane to one side.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”