Motorola R2590

This forum exists for the purposes for discussing service monitors (This includes but is not limited to Motorola, HP, Aeroflex, GD, etc). Additional topics allowed include test procedures, interpretation of test results, where to find information about specific tests, antenna VSWR, return loss testing, duplexer and filter alignment, etc.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Doug
Batboard $upporter

Motorola R2590

Post by Doug »

I'm in a quest for a bit of information. It's time for me to replace my service monitor And I have an option to pick up a calibrated R-2590 for what seems to be a fair price. The problem lies in that the many searches on the net have led to little user opinion. Good /Bad or otherwise? Before asking I don't need LTR trunking protocol
Thanks
Doug
May the Schwarz be with you.
VE3HKB
New User

Re: Motorola R2590

Post by VE3HKB »

Not bad for a basic unit.
I find that (on my bench unit at least) the output amp is poorly shielded. You might have a calibrated low-level signal at the output connector, but full strength signal spraying out of the box.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

I've had one for quite a few years. Works really well for what you get in the box. Options can be added remotely (as in entering a code provided upon purchase of said option). Your price should reflect how it is optioned now. It will do PL and DPL at minimum standard. There is a enhanced signalling option I believe which adds other stuff. I'm away from the office for a while so can't check it directly. I also have the option that enables tracking generator and cable test which works reasonably well if you don't have a Sitemaster or similar. Factory option comes with a custom made return loss bridge that connects between the GEN out and ANT ports.

I've really never noticed the issue of the non-shelded RF out of the box. Issue I did have problems with was frequency calibration. Dead on freq up through 500 MHz then would slip as you went higher. At 937 MHz, unit was 162 Hz low of frequency. Even after cal it was off. My box doesn't have the optional OCXO so accuracy is .2 PPM. Not good enough for maintaining a simulcast system at 900 so used the COM 120C or the GD R8000 we got for doing P25 and TRBO maintenance.

All in all a good analog unit for doing basics like HAM stuff or the like....

Dave
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

We'll, I did pull the trigger on it. It's going to take a bit of getting used to. It's got the tracking generator option/cable fault/swr . The cool thing is I was given a two week option on it if I don't like it.
DJP126
What radios do you own?: What's a radio?

Post by DJP126 »

VE3HKB wrote:Not bad for a basic unit.
I find that (on my bench unit at least) the output amp is poorly shielded. You might have a calibrated low-level signal at the output connector, but full strength signal spraying out of the box.
Make sure the hardware is tight and the rf gaskets by the front panel for the top and bottom covers is clean and free of excess dust.
Dave
Doug
Batboard $upporter

Post by Doug »

Thank you for the info. I was doing a bit of familiarizing myself with it today and brought out a set of 4 cavity duplexers. It took a bit longer than usual with the tracking generator but the results were good. I put on my RLB and didn't miss it by much.
Doug

Return to “Test Equipment & RF Equipment Alignment”