dahmiser verses dashking?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

dahmiser verses dashking?

Post by kb9suy »

who likes what better. The single and dual dashmiser verses the single and double dash king??
Code3Response
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Code3Response »

Dual miser all the way! Have owned/used/sold/purchased/specd out/installed both several times - and very much prefer the miser.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Well, both have their good and bad points.

The Dashmiers work very well for rear deck and dash for older cars and most trucks.

The dashkings are great for the front dashes the way most of them are made these days, and work great in crown vics next to the 3rd brake light.

For the self contained power supplies, I think the dashmisers give off more light then the dash kings. If hooked up to a remote power supply, they will only be as bright as the power supply can give it. You will get more light at angles with the dashmiser though.

I can say that the LED verison of the Dash King is pretty cool. Whelen just released the TIR6 LED of the dashmiser, but I haven't seen it yet. Suppose to be super bright with only 6 LED's per lighthead.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I have the new TIR6 Slimlighter. Those things are deadly. They use the same module in the TIR6 dashmiser which will be equally as deadly.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Pj

Post by Pj »

What's nicer, the TIR6 or the full panel LED's like the mirror lights? They offer them in both, whats the difference in technolgy?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jim

Post by jim »

For a self containd dash light, the TOMAR Police Light II all the way. I have all of the other brands sitting in my showroom to compare and they are the brightest. The disadvantage is that they are loud (27 watts) and they don't have all of the flash patterns (aka toys) like the other brands. And they are cheaper $$$ too!

Go ahead, Whelen whiners....pitch your :o now!
Pj

Post by Pj »

Brightness is almost always wattage specific. I had remote dashmiers, and when I had my 60 watt power supply hooked up to them (comet flash), then my 40 watt power supply which was double flash....the double flash one was ultra bright. Talk about starting to hear the strobe flashes...

The tubes went from click-click-click-click to poof-poof. Sounded pretty cool.

Now I have a 180 watt power supply so....

I think the self contained dashmiers (at least the early one's) used a 15 watt power supply...it wasn't much but does do a good job for low power operation.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

The TIR6 500 Series LED's will blow away the old style 500 Series LED's.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
jim

Post by jim »

Oh yeah! If you are out for pure brightness (effective candella), go with the remote mount unit. I just did a '03 CV with a 75W Whelen setup (hey....I tried to talk them out of it. I'll get a service call, however when their supply fails in a few months!) and it was BRIGHT. It was lightweight, too, meaning it won't back out the TEK screws as time goes on.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”