Repeater LTE Connectivity

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KDN

Repeater LTE Connectivity

Post by KDN »

I am looking for a connectivity solution for a deployable repeater.

I currently have a few PDR-3500 for use on special deployments that are normally utilized outside of our coverage area.

I am looking for a solution other than a POTS line that will allow my Gold Elite to have console connectivity to the PDR-3500 while it is deployed via a LTE connection.

Anyone have any insight or done anything similar in the past than can offer suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
alex
Administrator

Re: Repeater LTE Connectivity

Post by alex »

Are you looking for v.24, 4-Wire, or Both?

If just v.24 is needed - I would suggest looking at a LTE capable Cisco 819. They have a sync serial port on there that will support v.24. They are a bit bigger than UDS modems but are certainly portable enough. If you have someone in house that knows the Cisco product line well enough they should be able to point you to newer offerings that may exist out there... There are a number of installs out there with Cisco 1800 series routers with 4 or 16 port serial cards that are running multiple v.24 circuits over the internet, T1, or other means. There are also other products out there - this isn't the only one. It's just a box that's usually not associated with radio that can be easily used.

If you need 4 wire & v.24 - you need a Cisco router that supports voice. 2811's are pretty cheap on the used market these days. You will need a PVDM module, VIC2-2E&M Module (allows for 2 ports of E&M), and if you want to add serial - a HWIC-2SER I believe. Some config magic - and you have yourself a setup that will do what you want. Don't forget you will need a IOS Image that supports all the features - off hand i want to say it's advipservicesk9 should be in the image name but I can't recall exactly.

It's not hard - but it took me 6 -9 months of playing with the equipment, asking friends, etc, to get to the point where I'm kind of good making it all work together.

Your next step to overcome is going to be latency. You can expect a little over 100ms of latency if 4g is involved and you are dealing with voice. Probably not the best voting solution. If you are trying to vote v.24 - it's usually 40-90ms latency so it should for the most part work. Obviously if you can find a way to perfect the timing or work to use solutions like - not over a LTE connection this sort of stuff will work much better.

alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
KDN

Post by KDN »

Thank you Alex.

Depending on the team deployed, some are using analog, other teams are using P25. I'd like to have the flexibility to do both 4 wire and V.24.

I assume the Cisco router does the VPN that will allow the PDR to leave the remote location and arrive back in my equipment room to connet to the BIM.

Latency should not be an issue as it will only be a single transmitter.

Appreciate the response!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

The Cisco ISR's can do a lot of things - VPN, Routing, Tunneling, just about anything you would want. It's all in the configuration of the device and the feature set required.

I would suggest looking in to a DMVPN tunnel for your deployment considering you will know on your end what the address is every time (I'd strongly suggest the DMVPN hub router be directly on the internet and have a static IP). The remaining spokes (clients) that are in the field can be dynamic and do not require statics.

If your looking at used equipment and talking about deploying teams I'll warn you that the Cisco 2811's are about the size of a large pizza box and are not small.

You also can have the added benefit if you like of sending FXO/FXS ports or setting up Call Manager Express on the client routers to have phone setups while mobile.

The routers are pretty awesome and have a ton of features beyond what you may be considering for radio.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”