KVL Help from your experience please!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nickjc

KVL Help from your experience please!

Post by nickjc »

Hi !

After all the fun with the radios I have the only thing I have not tried is encryption..

I have obtained a 3020BX with a CX upgrade..

Now I have read the encryption FAQ and am I to assume that a 3020, whether BX or CX will ONLY load a DES module? I am using a regular UHF Saber and Systems Saber as the two radios to test with.

Further I found this by searching the forum...

""From my experience with all versions of secure portables, and Motorola keyloaders, AX will load MX series,Sabers DES,DVP only, BX will load MX,Sabers,DES,DVP, CX will load,Sabers,System Sabers, DES,DVP,DES-XL,DVP-XL,but no MX series. DX will load Sabers, System Sabers, Astro DES,DVP,DES-XL,DVP-XL,no MX series and some early Saber modules. This is assuming you are using the right keyloader/hybrid for the type of encreption you have in the radio. To upgrade to a CX or DX, you must have the keyloader with the 2 small eeproms, the single eprom version won't work.""

Reading this it can be either interpreted to mean that any KVL with a CX upgrade will load DES-XL etc...but I am under the impression that the loader has been designed for that particular module...meaning a 3020 will ONLY load a DES module...

As I now have (2) DES-XL modules I am wondering if I need to swap them for DES only...

THanks for any further insight or clarification...
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

You have a DES KVL ONLY. You can not do dvp, dvpxl or DESXL. If you want to do DESXL you need to get a T3011 KVL. Also you CX version will NOT keyload any astro radio.

Jason
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

interoperability b/w des modes

Post by jnglmassiv »

Since we are talking about similarities and differences between the DES schemes, I hope someone can answer this:

Is there any way to allow DES and DES-XL radios to talk to each other while coded?

Scenario: my saber with 5835A des-xl module can talk to my mx300 w/ Des module in the clear, but not secure. I can load keys to each of them with my 3011cx Des/des-xl kvl. Is there anything to enable or do to get this going? Or are they totally different ala des/dvp?

I thought this was discussed before but try searching batlabs for des or des-xl. :roll:
wavetar
Administrator

Re: interoperability b/w des modes

Post by wavetar »

jnglmassiv wrote: Is there any way to allow DES and DES-XL radios to talk to each other while coded?
No. The XL version has error checking introduced into the data stream, which the regular DES cannot handle. You also cannot "disable" this error checking to "turn" DES-XL into regular DES. You need to match up your modules, either both DES, or both XL. In the case of DVP, on top of the error checking, there were a lot more keys made available in the XL version.

Todd
ScannerDan

Post by ScannerDan »

Yes, A DES-XL radio can talk to a DES only radio. In the RSS of the non "DES-XL" radio you'll have to turn OFF the "XL" feature. and then it will be DES only. I did this with my Asrto Saber and a Saber 1.

Dan...
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I second scanner dan's info. I've done that and it works. The straight DES sounds a bit better too.

mancow

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”