Motorola Getting out of Pagers

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

raymond345

Post by raymond345 »

Yes this is true at motorola is getting
out of paging. Raymond's 2 pennies.
from canada
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I heard that as well, however I heard only the tone pagers were being discontinued.

I find it hard to believe that they would get out of paging as a whole

-Alex
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

I think that's stupid of them to get rid of the pagers. Not everyone wants to carry around a handheld to recieve thier dispaches/pages. It's a lot easier to carry a small pager than a brick. Most fire and EMS departments use them because thier a lot cheaper than buying a radio for all the volenteers. I carry both a pager and handheld, but sonetimes it's easier to have less weight. I think they should reconsider it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Motorola Personal Communications Sector (PCS) Refocuses Messaging Division

New PCS Strategy Will Support and Expand Wireless Messaging Opportunities

BOYNTON BEACH, Fla., Dec. 3, 2001 – Motorola Inc.’s Personal Communications Sector (PCS) announced today that it will refocus the objectives of its Wireless Messaging Division. PCS will concentrate its development efforts on 2-way messaging products for use on cellular networks for GSM, GPRS and CDMA protocols This means that PCS will discontinue distributing ReFLEX protocol-based products such as the Talkabout® T900 and TimeportTM P935 personal communicators, as well as its one-way paging products, in mid-2002. PCS will continue to provide technical support of the ReFLEX® protocol to the growing list of over twenty ReFLEX licensees.

Miguel Pellon, vice president and general manager, Wireless Messaging Division, said, “Sales of our traditional one and two-way messaging products are migrating to demand for 2-way messaging for use on cellular networks with integrated product offerings and increased functionality. Demand still exists for these traditional products; however, Motorola is committed to market leadership. This means we need to begin now to redeploy our resources and development efforts to transport protocols such as GSM, GPRS and CDMA.”

PCS’s refocus is also being driven by the need to better utilize existing resources within the company while leveraging the technology platforms it has recently developed. The recent introductions of the V100, V200 and impending release of the AccompliTM 009 personal communicator products are the initial results of this refocused effort. This move will allow PCS to utilize its expertise in messaging and cellular communication while encouraging the development of FLEXTM and ReFLEX networks and devices through participation in the Personal Communication Industry Association’s (PCIA) Paging Technical Committee.

PCS plans to continue to provide technical resources to those licensing the FLEX and ReFLEX protocol for manufacturing subscriber devices, infrastructure, test equipment, chip sets or modules. PCS will also continue to provide warranty service for their 1-way and 2-way messaging products.

“PCS alone has shipped over two million ReFLEX-based devices since 1996, with the majority of those shipments happening in the past 18 months,” said Pellon. “There are currently 21 ReFLEX licensees designing and manufacturing ReFLEX-based products – a sign of the strength of the wireless messaging industry.”

Motorola PCS’s participation in PCIA’s Paging Technical Committee has been instrumental in providing a forum for discussing technical issues related to the paging industry as well as in creating, publishing, and adopting non-proprietary standards in support of enhanced industry services. Recent committee activities include developing improved formats and methods for inter-networking of paging carrier systems, creation of a national standard to allow carrier compliance with the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®) and reviewing new vendor proposals for industry service enhancements.

The PTC is migrating its focus to support the ReFLEX protocol by serving as an industry “sounding board” for technical issues, but with a focus on ReFLEX systems, devices and services as well as support for FLEX protocol (one-way) networks. PCS’s involvement includes providing device standards as well as support for the evolution of the ReFLEX protocol, including ReFLEX 2.7.

Manufacturers interested in obtaining a FLEX or ReFLEX protocol license can visit http://www.motorola.com/flex for more information.

About Motorola

Motorola, Inc. (NYSE:MOT) is a global leader in providing integrated communications and embedded electronic solutions. Sales in 2000 were $37.6 billion.

# # #

Media Contact:
Josephine Posti
Motorola
(561) 739-2089
jo.posti@motorola.com

MOTOROLA, the Stylized M Logo and all other trademarks indicated as such herein are trademarks of Motorola, Inc. ®Reg. U.S. Pat. & T,. Off. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. © 2001 Motorola, Inc. All rights reserved. Printed in the U.S.A.
http://www.mot.com/mediacenter/news/det ... 23,00.html
jim

Post by jim »

Nobody's gonna have to carry a portable to receive a call- there are plenty of non-"M" pagers that work just fine for fire and EMS. The Minitor III wasn't really ever anything for "M" to brag about anyway.
It's hard to believe they'd do something like this. If they're gonna stop building a product, how about FRS radio? These frequencies sound like CB 15 years ago. Stop building the HT750/1250 radios- I hear nothing but complaints from owners of these about how they want their "old" MT/HT1000s back.
It seems that "M" is going the route of the Japanese consumer electronics manufacturers in the sense that they are only interested in producing an item that appeals to a mass population- not a limited consumer such as fire, police, EMS or private business. I just hope that they don't build "consumer grade" quality units in the future. One drop to the ground and it's all over.
I've been thinking lateley- if "M" were to do this to their LMR products, who would be next in line after them? Icom's new radios are actually impressive and have all of the features of "M"s and then some. Are they durable now? Kenwood, to me, is useless in the hands of somebody working in public safety- drop them once and it's all over.

As I said before- please come back "M" !!!
tfr501

Post by tfr501 »

"there are plenty of non-"M" pagers that work just fine for fire and EMS."

Can you send me a list of them? I need to find a good replacement for the minitor.
jim

Post by jim »

Just look in the back of Firehouse Magazine and you'll find most of them.
They aren't as high quality as the old Minitor II's, but they certainly work better than the III.
If you don't find them, I'll dig into the catalogs.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Acceptable alternatives are the Sceptar, and Nova pagers. I believe they are both made by Shinwa, who BTW also makes the III for Motorola.
Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Tron »

Good grief, Shinwa is making the Minitor 3s?

Have used the Shinwa's in the fire service. Not very impressive, had decoder problems, no voice storage, units wouldn't go off when the battery started to get low. Was glad when they got rid of them.

Tron
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Its too bad....now all those rappers will have nothing to show off in their videos...it seems all of them carry timeports and some even have me jelous..they somehow got Accompli's on early release. Maybe I should tell Puffy or Russell Simmons to start ushering in RIM Blackberry's instead...got keep up with the trends. Anybody ever use an accompli? I would like to get one.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”