XTS5000 Report

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

xmo

Post by xmo »

I have one in my hand - it's way cool. It is exactly the same size and shape as an XTS3000 or XTS3500.

You push side button 2 and it cycles through the usual Host version, DSP version, Model #, Serial number, then comes ESN (!), then it says 8 meg! (WOW) This thing has a 32 bit processor where the XTS3000 is 16 bit and the XTS3500 is 8 bit. It has a clock and displays the time in the upper corner of the LCD. It also has display aliasing (finally in a high tier radio!) - matching incoming ID's to names in call lists. I think they said it supports up to 50 call lists with up to 100 members in each list - not to exceed 2000 total list members in one radio. It also supports the new smart battery - i.e. a menu choice displays battery statistics on the LCD. You can program it with either USB or RS-232 (no RIB)

Here are some useful numbers:

RC-4-2002 Color brochure
RC-110-2009A Color catalog sheet
R3-4-2002 Spec sheet
RKN4105 USB test/programming cable
RKN4106 RS-232 test/programming cable
RVN4181 Portable CPS/tuner
RVN4186 Portable/mobile CPS/tuner
6881094C28 Basic service manual
9985901D01 Operator's guide on CD
9985902D01 Basic service manual on CD

I also have an XTS2500 - also cool - I will report on that later - WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE NEW MOBILES.
Zoso

Post by Zoso »

What is the FCC Id on these new radios.

Thanks
xmo

Post by xmo »

FCC Designation : AZ489FT5806

The programming cable came in today - now we'll have some fun!
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

I also have an XTS2500 - also cool - I will report on that later - WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE NEW MOBILES.
Oh do tell (about the mobiles!!!!) I'm quite curious.

-Alex

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alex on 2001-12-20 01:08 ]</font>
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation
What radios do you own?: iPhone, Blackberry, HT220

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Isnt the unit Dual band 700/800 or is that an option that those do not have.is there Any way you could post pictures of every different angle of the radio or maybe some display shots....i hear it is a bitmapped display...let us know.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

What band did you say the radio is in? Oh, and yes, and picture would be great as well!
Also, how would you rate its proformence (once you get it programmed:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MT2000 man on 2001-12-20 21:17 ]</font>
phantom

Post by phantom »

If you don't mind me asking... how much was the base model XTS5000?

Any VHF expectations on release?

Ph
xmo

Post by xmo »

To answer some of the questions:

This radio is dual band 700 - 800. Apparently there is no 800 only unit. I tried putting 700 freqs in this with the CPS and it takes them (764-767, 773-776) so Motorola must have confidence that the band plan is set.

The display is bitmapped. It says so in the specsheet and you can tell that it looks different than an XTS3000. I couldn't find anywhere in the CPS that lets you do anything special with the display so its capability must be for future features. They tell me all the features aren't developed yet. It's supposed to do WAP so you could use the radio to run license checks directly for example or even get a graphic or picture on the display.

As far as cost, I don't have pricing on these although they tell me you can order them (so your sales person should have pricing now). The ones I have are on loan from product development and have to go back in a couple of weeks.

The RC-110-2009A lists other bands as: 136-174 MHz (6W), 380-470 MHz (5W), and 450-520 MHz (5W). I don't think these will be available for several months.

The big selling point of this model right now is its ability to do both Astro trunking and Astro 25 trunking - in other words regular 3600 baud Smartnet/Smartzone 2.x.x/3.x.x/4.x.x as well as the new 9600 baud APCO 25 trunking Smartnet with APCO IMBE CAI on either. This means you can have one radio that interoperates on systems of either type. The XTS2500 (more on that to come) will also do either format but not both formats at the same time in one radio.

If you want a mobile that does both formats - for now it will be the Astro Digital Spectra Plus. This product does 3600/9600, 512 modes, P25, encryption, etc. and will hold down the fort until the new mobiles are ready. Look for three new mobile products (three price & feature tiers) It looks like Motorola is serious about digital.

Everything I saw was marked "preliminary" so there is no way to tell when they will announce delivery dates or even real product names. Look for LCD displays, soft keys, 9600/3600 operation, WAP, etc. The artist's conception graphics of the new mobiles look very impressive - I want the high tier one!

This may not be the old Motorola that built the products we liked so well such as Astro Saber and Syntor X9000, but they still blow away the competition for mid and high tier public safety systems and products.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Going WAP in a Public Safety radio is going to be a big headache. With the admin time associated with a WAP gateway (they will be using a gateway??) and the ongoing security concerns with all the viruses, browser holes, Trojan horses and other malicious code targeted specifically at the Wireless Application Protocol.

It'll be interesting to see exactly what security measures Motorola will take and how they will implement patching new security exploits as they're discovered.

I don't want to be specific as to WAP exploits around at the moment but would like to say that I've "tested" a few on my WAP cell phone and ended up killing it.

Anyone with more info on how Motorola plans to implement WAP I would be interested in hearing more, if you want to keep it of the forum you can always Private Message me!
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

Big Pimpin... Spendin cheese.....thats all I got to say. Looks tight, hope it works, because lots of agencies will be mad if it dosent, especially for god knows the cost on these things...imagine buying 1000 units! We may be witness-ing the fall of Motorola...they have been plauged for years with useless features, mixed reviews, and less-than average quality control. This may be the straw that breaks the camel's back....especially with the price....if you buy a $80,000 car you wouldn't expect it to be failing every month...and thats exactly what this radio is, a flagship product that has a history almost as old as the automobile (im talking about radio in general as a evolutionary technology) for something that people's lives and business's depend on,they sure have been more than tolerable with the failure rate. You wouldn't see product failure like some of these digital systems tolerated in industries such as aviation. People's lives are on the line unfortunately with the nature of this product and I just hope that they put as much thought into that point as into the bitmapped display and WAP Crap. Sounds like another company I know called apple computer...had lots of school and education contracts..basically invented the personal computer, something motorola can say for the Handie Talkie, but was too busy tooting their own horn, and really got into deep SH*T before they realized they needed a major restructuring....and guess what, it was too late...now (even though they make better computers that are higher quality) they are in a position of being the underdog. Even though they make a better product..Its all about market share and public perception.
ASTRO_25
Batboard $upporter

Post by ASTRO_25 »

I hear ya...

Sheeetit, I'll take a LPE-200 up against an ASTRO Saber or xts any day of the year. Elroy will crap a brick when he reads this, but the reality is the LPE does everything you want with minimal price and no ********. ma/com will make some good in roads to the ps market. Motorola will always dominate, but with all those features that no ps agency will use, it'll begin to catch up with them especially with this market.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Why would I crap a brick over a personal preference? If you don't prefer an Astro product, that's your business. Heck, for basic communications, I STILL like the good old HT600. Cheap, reliable, good performance, gets the job done.

I've still got an MX or two hanging around here that I use from time to time, too.

However, I would not expect an LPE to survive the abuse an Astro saber can take, and I appreciate some of the toys an Astro offers.
I like having digital modes available, including encryption.

Elroy
/\/\y 2 cents
On Moderation

Post by /\/\y 2 cents »

LPE is more on terms with the MTS 2000 for durability. Now I'd but an MRK against a Saber or ASTRO saber any day. Oh yeah...GE MPA's are pretty tough too. I'd put an MPA against a // MX.
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

xmo wrote:FCC Designation : AZ489FT5806

The programming cable came in today - now we'll have some fun!
Who has the information on these programming cables?

I'd be interested in building out the USB version if someone has the diagrams!!

The batlabs.com pages are useless on the XTS series.

-Josh
Johnny Galaga

Photos

Post by Johnny Galaga »

Microwave Mike

XTS 5K

Post by Microwave Mike »

I have had one of these in the dual band 7/800 for a while. The only way to keep the P-25 from transmitting is to desolder the choke from the final fet. It will try to transmit, but no RF. Not the best way to solve the problem.
I too would like to get my hands on an LPE-200. They are great radios. The R-MK series runs circles around any non trunking radio I have tried.

$ 1500 more or less is a good price for a 500 channel VHF.

mm

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”