Mobile Data

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Threeshot223

Mobile Data

Post by Threeshot223 »

I'm interested in setting up a small mobile data network to kinda experiment with. I've seen lots and lots of MDT's on eBay for 20 bucks or so, and I've heard that they'll talk to one another. That's all I really need, but I dont know if they'll all work without the "server" computer-radio. Will they?
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

If your talking about the 9100-11 and 9100-10's they will not talk to eachother with out a server or host computer. The reason for this is the way the data is transmitted. When the terminal sends a message it sends it one way with headers and footers in the transmission. The Host or Server computer sends the information the oposite way. To learn more about the terminals and mobile data check out my website at http://www.ag-communications.com. I am currently updating it so it will have more information available. There is a discussion forum with people on there that are familiar with Mobile date equipment...
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

Ok, so to make these work, you do need the "server" unit. Are these as widely available as the MDT's are? Or are they (with my luck) kind of the same way as /\/\ RSS....not to be found anywhere's except new from Motorola?

And, supposing that I do find all of this stuff, how are the MDT's set up? Do they all have the same "program" or are they tailored to whichever "customer" used them?
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

They are programmed to the customers specifications such as forms, status and canned messages. There are 3 common types of data formats that motorola uses, MDC4800, 9.6 RD-LAP and 19.2 RD-LAP. If you get a 9100-10 that will use the MDC4800 protocol. You can email me or PM me if you want specifics.... Ohh by the way where are you located I like your avatar pic, looks like a Sac County Sheriff Car?
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

The server computer is a snap. Your problem will be the data controller that sits between the base radio and the server. This is a Motorola Radio Network Data Controller involving the older VME based RNC 3000, or the current cPCI based RNC 3000. In any event, they cost $30,000 to $ 60,000 new (depending upon the number of [ports and options). I was lucky to find a brand new in the box VME based RNC 3000 at our local hamfest this winter for $500, as the guy had no clue of what the heck he had. It works perfectly! I have never yet seen one on eBay.

Larry
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Assuming you are thinking about an IVD network (as opposed to an overlay environment), you will, of course, need a digital Quantar repeater, plus a Motorola DIU 3000 co-located with your host computer and the RNC 3000 network controller.

The DIU 3000 is the point where you tap-off the data to feed into the RNC 3000 network controller, and then on to the host computer. The DIU 3000 is about $10,000 (new), although you might be able to find DIU 3000s via eBay (not easy and not typically available). The Quantar is, of course, extremely pricey. Unfortunately, even if you just want to send and receive short messages from one MDT to another, you will need all of this gear, or the MDT 9100s will be nothing but old bricks that might be used more effectively to anchor a flag pole, etc. At least with the old MW520 or the current MW800, these more "modern" MDTs can be used as stand alone PCs, or they make great mobile PCs with 802.11b capabilities, running Windows 2000 (as opposed to DOS on an old 386 that the MDT 9100 series used).

You might want to put a PC in your car with WiFi. That will give you up to 11 Mb/s at most Starbucks. Or, most all cellular carriers have internet over their cell phones. Also, the short mesage service over cellular works extremely well ( a lot better than any MDT 9100 I might add!), and you can send and receive up to 256 character messagers very nicely for a minimal cost.

Larry
Threeshot223

Post by Threeshot223 »

Eh, makes sense now. Since the older MDT's are pretty much useless without $100K+ of infrastructure, that's why they're so cheap and plentiful to find- nobody can use them. Sucks, I guess.

I've seen those MW520's and MW800's (the local SD uses a 520 color system- cool!), and they look pretty neat, but it seems cheaper to get an ordinary laptop and hook it to a DataTac modem or something. I was meaning this as a kinda of "well they're cheap, so let's get 'em!" type of thing with the MDT's, but it dont look that way, so no big loss.

**agcomm: BAM! Sacramento County SD. I live in Rancho and the pic was an old one taken off the department website....I'm refusing to forget the days of the 260HP LT-1 Caprice, or, as some people called it, the 4-door Vette!**

Forgot to ask.....is your avatar STAR 5? Kinda looks like it but I can't tell.
2wayguru
Banned

Post by 2wayguru »

Yes it is Star5 as a matter of fact if you have flight simulator 2002 Professional I can email you star 5. I created it on FS2002 PRO after looking on SSD's website. I am from Citrus Heights and moved up to Oregon. Since your in rancho you might remember when SSD had the old UHF data system, the old kustom electronics DXT's which were bought out by coded communications. Anyway if you had a set of DXT's you can send info back and forth with out a controller on those if you set them up with the same ID. The id is programmed via pin diode board that pluggs into the back of the terminal. Then you would need to interface the MDT with a radio. Back then SSD used a GE mobile to run data on the old 453 system. I am having a brainfart and can't remember the model of radio since I just got off of work. I currently have a MDT 9100-11 that used to be on the Sac County System, I took a couple of those terminals in on trade when Folsom PD was on the system then upgraded. Since then SSD has upgraded to the MW5201C terminals with color and some with touch screen. I was recently reading in my 911 Mag at work since I work as a Public Safety Dispatcher here in Oregon that Sac PD just went with a total new system for there MDTs, They used a 5031 interface and a 6031 controller with the 9031 terminals and the MDT 9100-10. If you know someone in Property that knows where the stuff is and when it will be sold that is your chance to get it. Get those items and the computer and you have it made. You just have to invest quite a bit of time configuring the system and programming of the controllers to make it work the way you want to. I know rancho quite well I worked that area for B&J driving tow truck out there..... PM me some time....

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”