800 MaxTrac for 902 MHz Reciever?

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jonathan KC8RYW

800 MaxTrac for 902 MHz Reciever?

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

I heard someone mentioning using a Talk-Around Capable 800 MHz MaxTrac as a 902 MHz reciver. I'm not sure if they were kidding me or what.

Obviously, the filters would need to be changed to ones that pass ~902 MHz. But that is the case for the 900 MHz Maxtrac's as well.

Then comes the fact that the 800 MaxTrac is designed for +/-5 KHz, while 33cm typically uses +/- 2.5 KHz.

Has anyone tried this, and if so, how well does it work?
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
kd6kml

Chip

Post by kd6kml »

Jon,

I have a maxtrac on 800 here that I think allows for conventional modes. In other words, it's not trunking only.

Let me dig around the junk box, I can send you the logic board with the chip on it.

If nothing else, I probably pulled the EPROM and put it with all the other EPROM I have.

If you can program a conventional mode, then you can see if the radio works well or not, then possibly invest in a proper conventional only EPROM.

JOSH
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...Has anyone tried this, and if so, how well does it work..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been covered extensively on the yahoo group 'AR902MHz'
walt10

800 max to 902

Post by walt10 »

I have done two so far. Blanked the board to get all the acc. Replaced the filters. I removed the PA and mounted a BNC connector on the back of the frame. I checked and got 12db at .15 Microvolts. 20 db at .24 microvolts. They are 5 kc recievers but seem to receive the NB signals just fine.

Walt
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

Yes, it works good. I have done it.
see this post; http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=11273
I found you can just clip one lead of the transistor without removing the board.
I also just removed the Murata filters and put a jumper in their place.
You will need labmax software to blank and enter the 900 freqs.
Remember to initialize it as an 800 radio, not 900. Don't use 900 eprom. If the logic board has no eprom, just initialize as 800.
....Keith

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”