Still nobody using voice inversion?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Still nobody using voice inversion?

Post by CAPTLPOL »

I asked about someone using voice inversion with IMBE CAI digital. No one had tried it. I am wondering if anyone has tried it as of yet. My county has not gone to digital yet, however, an area county is digital. I guess I need to get a radio from Nick and give it a shot.
ASTRO_25
Batboard $upporter

Post by ASTRO_25 »

why?
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

Voice inversion on a vocoded system "would be bad". The vocoder is designed to handle normal voice- like signals, and a frequency inverted voice signal wouldn't match anything in the vocoder codebook - in other words what came out the other end wouldn't remotely resemble what went in.

Furthurmore, why would you put a system like voice inversion on a system that already supports DES and AES encryption? Voice inversion is trivially weak and easy to crack. While single DES isn't terribly hard to crack IF YOU ARE THE NSA, it is WAYYYYY more difficult to crack for the average user than voice inversion.

And of course, using 256 bit AES encryption will pretty much keep anybody from cracking your system - at those key lengths the way you "crack" them is to break into the guy's shop and steal his key fill device.
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

Lindsay said: Why?

I say why not. It would keep those in scannerland perplexed. I was thinking of a low cost solution. I know how easy it is to break voice inversion. A FRS voice inversion retransmitted could bust voice inversion, not to mention the Ramsey kit.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

I don't think it's as easy as some say as long as it's rolling code. That's what we use and it seems it would take some amount of work.

mancow
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Re: Still nobody using voice inversion?

Post by CAPTLPOL »

So has anyone tried voice inversion on digital?
VoIP BAT-6996
libuff

Post by libuff »

CAPTLPOL wrote:So has anyone tried voice inversion on digital?

i think the general consensus is, it wount work.. the vocoder doesn't just blindly code voice, it compares it to a know type of sound, voice, as opposed to sirens, air conditioning, wind, etc.. im not exactly sure what IMBE filters out, but i do know, i work on a system where one particualr channel is mixed mode, and when someone is in analog, i hear everything, the am/fm radio in the car, the noise of the wind, etc. when the go digital, i ONLY hear them.

pretty much the same reason u can't do QC or DTMF on a IMBE.
akardam

Post by akardam »

Question has been answered.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”